Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Teaming With Segway Inventor Kamen on Better Wheelchairs

Toyota Teaming With Segway Inventor Kamen on Better Wheelchairs

Toyota Motor Corp. said it will work with Dean Kamen, inventor of the Segway human transporter, to develop advanced wheelchairs for disabled people and aging populations worldwide.
    The agreement announced Saturday gives the world?s largest automaker a license to use balancing technology that Kamen has installed in prior generations of wheelchairs for medical rehabilitative therapy and other purposes. The agreement will also help Kamen introduce a new version of his iBOT wheelchair, which used two sets of powered wheels to walk up and down stairs and help disabled people stand face-to-face with companions. Kamen stopped selling the iBOT in 2009.

See more at:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...er-wheelchairs

All the best,
    GJ

I must say, this might make an iBot style device a realistic product with Toyota running the merchandising this time around. Johnson & Johnson really fucked up the last rollout. Maybe we should keep the 'medical' type companies out of 'medical' equipment, lol.

Andy I have to agree with you. The folks who supply the products known as "Durable Medical Equipment" at least in the wheelchair dept generally make SHIT, with a few exceptions. They are at least 1/2 a century behind the curve. Batteries, electronics, tires and wheels are at a minimum of 1/2 a century behind, and at least one company has, a so called HP advocate, shill for them. That is a sad state of affairs. His advice to their customers is scientifically, and technically incorrect, but isn't that exactly what shill's do?

Now if only Toyota would be inspired to come up with an off the showroom floor ready wheelchair accessible motor vehicle.

All the best,
    GJ

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Excellent news. Although I'm a quad, those converted Segway wheelchairs could really be a life changer and help get me back in the woods. Since the Omegatrac powerchair changed owners a couple times and the quality went to hell, I haven't had a chair that would do both inside and outside well.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

In Feb 2015 Dean Kamen is quoted in this link as saying the IBOT would be re-engineered and reintroduced in less than two years. That timetable is probably lost now. http://www.mobilehydraulictips.com/d...p-engineering/

Also from this article, what does this mean to us: "...Food and Drug Administration, the government body has reclassified the iBOT from a Class III to a Class II medical device...."
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

It will be interesting how the service aspect of this partnership will be facilitated.

It would be a nice change to have a "trained" service person with mechanical and electrical aptitude working under the Toyota umbrella.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Also from this article, what does this mean to us: "...Food and Drug Administration, the government body has reclassified the iBOT from a Class III to a Class II medical device...."

What does it mean for FDA to "classify" a medical device?

FDA classifies medical devices based on the risks associated with the device. Devices are classified into one of three categories—Class I, Class II, and Class III.
    Class I devices are deemed to be low risk and are therefore subject to the least regulatory controls. For example, dental floss is classified as Class I device.
    Class II devices are higher risk devices than Class I and require greater regulatory controls to provide reasonable assurance of the device’s safety and effectiveness. For example, condoms are classified as Class II devices.
    Class III devices are generally the highest risk devices and are therefore subject to the highest level of regulatory control. Class III devices must typically be approved by FDA before they are marketed. For example, replacement heart valves are classified as Class III devices.

More from the FDA website:

Learn if a Medical Device Has Been Cleared by FDA for Marketing

http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Re.../ucm142523.htm Before you begin researching the status of a medical device, you should first know some general information that will assist you in your search.
    The Medical Device Amendments of 1976 to the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act established three regulatory classes for medical devices. The three classes are based on the degree of control necessary to assure the various types of devices are safe and effective.
    Class I – These devices present minimal potential for harm to the user and are often simpler in design than Class II or Class III devices. Examples include enema kits and elastic bandages. 47% of medical devices fall under this category and 95% of these are exempt from the regulatory process.
    Class II – Most medical devices are considered Class II devices. Examples of Class II devices include powered wheelchairs and some pregnancy test kits. 43% of medical devices fall under this category.
    Class III – These devices usually sustain or support life, are implanted, or present potential unreasonable risk of illness or injury. Examples of Class III devices include implantable pacemakers and breast implants. 10% of medical devices fall under this category.

So it seems the class two medical device would have less stringent regulatory hoops to jump through than the class three

All the best,
    GJ

I am very excited about this, I just heard about it today from a friend of mine who skyped me this link. I am use to using a smaller manual chair but to have something like this for hunting or getting around town and my acreage it would sure make life a lot easier. Also traveling would be easier as well less headache and worry especially looking at the version he is sitting on in this link. It looks a lot smaller and looks like they minimized a lot of things that is huge for me as I am use to the less bulkier chair and would miss fitting in some of the smaller places. With it lighter and smaller it would make it easier traveling by plane as well. Check out the link, I know I will be getting one of these when they come out again as I was mad they stopped selling them just after i got into my accident.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...-kamen-revival

Mooner

Quote Originally Posted by Mooner99 View Post
    I am very excited about this, I just heard about it today from a friend of mine who skyped me this link. I am use to using a smaller manual chair but to have something like this for hunting or getting around town and my acreage it would sure make life a lot easier. Also traveling would be easier as well less headache and worry especially looking at the version he is sitting on in this link. It looks a lot smaller and looks like they minimized a lot of things that is huge for me as I am use to the less bulkier chair and would miss fitting in some of the smaller places. With it lighter and smaller it would make it easier traveling by plane as well. Check out the link, I know I will be getting one of these when they come out again as I was mad they stopped selling them just after i got into my accident.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...-kamen-revival

Mooner
    To be useful to people with a broad range of injuries/disabilities, they will have to offer options for seating, backs, headrests, footrests etc, not to mention what it might take to secure (tie down) this type of chair in a vehicle like a converted van.

All the best,
    GJ
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gjnl; 05-23-2016 at 01:21 PM.