Thread: Smart vest by electromed

Smart vest by electromed

Saw my pulmonologist the other day and this was suggested to me as I am having major issues with increased ateleacesis, shortness of breath and such. Being a t6 incomplete she thinks this will help my airway clerance issues she thinks I have. My question is does anyone use 1 of these and are they helpful? Is it easy to use? And easy to travel with? I go on the 23rd for pulmonary function tests and she will then start the approval process. I am pretty sure I will fail miserably with the pft's and she thinks so as well. As I get severely short of breath just transferring or even just sitting in the chair. But my o2 levels remain in the mid 90s most of the time.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

A vest (there is also "The Vest" by Hill-Rom) can help to loosen secretions, but it doesn't get them out, nor does it really treat atalectasis. The units are bulkier and heavier than a CPAP machine. Some think a flutter valve can be a replacement, but we have not found them very helpful in people with SCI as you need pretty good exhalation muscles to make one work. Old fashion chest physical therapy (clapping) can work nearly as well, without the need to have all that equipment.

Something like a Cough-Assist (inexsuffilator) by Respironics would be needed to actually get the secretions out. There is also a new competitor for that device called the VitalCough (Hill-Rom). Both of these units can be used with either a trach or face mask. They are very heavy though, so not real easy to use for travel.

We have been using a lot of the new Hill-Rom MetaNeb devices for both atalectasis management and to replace the Vest. You might want to ask your pulmonary doctor about this.

Are you already using a diaphragmatic strenthening device like the PFlex? This can be helpful too in getting your diaphragm as strong as possible for both good deep breaths and coughing.

(KLD)

I am currently using a incentive spirometer which was given to me the last time I was in the hospital I use it every couple of hours while awake. She told me to continue to use it till the PFT tests. I will have to do some research on the meta Neb. Also what exactly is ateleacesis? She just told me that I have it but never told me what it was and I never thought to ask her. She also told me to start huff coughing as it would help some also. Thanks kld
    Last edited by Smashms; 06-12-2016 at 03:36 PM.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Atalectasis is collapse of the small bronchioles and alveoli, which are the areas at the end of the bronchioles (tubes) where oxygen and carbon dioxide are actually exchanged into the blood. If enough collapse, you can't get enough oxygen into your blood, or enough carbon dioxide out of your blood.

(KLD)