Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Transitioning from Magic Bullets to Enemeez

Transitioning from Magic Bullets to Enemeez

I've decided to try Enemeez after 34 years on Magic Bullets. For whatever reason, I'm not expecting the transition to go well. I received 10 free samples, asked questions of a company representative who called me, and read the material that came with the samples. I tried Enemeez last night and not much happened. The instructions in the flyer that came with the samples say if you don't get a response after 15 minutes and digital stimulation, you should use another Enemeez, and you can repeat this again, if the second application doesn't work. So you may need to use up to three Enemeez per bowel program to get things moving. Argh! That could get expensive at appx $2.50 per tube possibly $7.50 per day.

Do you find you need to use multiple tubes of Enemeez per bowel program?
    Did you have to use multiple tubes only when you first began using Enemeez?
    If you were a long time user of Magic Bullets, did it take a while for Enemeez to work reliably for you?

The representative I spoke with, said that bisacodyl "builds up in your system" and it may take a while to get bisacodyl out of your system. I'm wondering if that is valid.

I've read Mombo's and Donno's tips about putting the liquid in a syringe and either rigging up the Enemeez tube on the syringe or using a short piece from a catheter to get the liquid high enough in the rectal vault. I didn't try this technique last night (first time). I also know that the rectal vault should be empty and the liquid should not be squirted into stool in the rectal vault. Are there any other tips for success that anyone can share.

Thanks.

All the best,
    GJ

Anytime you make a switch like this, it can take a little time for your body to adjust. I would honestly say that I do not know anyone who uses more than 1enemeez consistently. Occasionally, yes. Did you keep everything else the same? No other changes to your program?
    ckf

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Anytime you make a switch like this, it can take a little time for your body to adjust. I would honestly say that I do not know anyone who uses more than 1enemeez consistently. Occasionally, yes. Did you keep everything else the same? No other changes to your program?
    ckf
    No other changes at all. On Wednesday, I used a Magic Bullet, on my next bowel program night on Friday, I used an Enemeez.

I am going to try again tonight (Saturday) because I am going to be out and about until a little later than normal on Sunday, and I really would prefer not to have any surprises.

Many thanks for your reply.

All the best,
    GJ

I switched after about five years of Magic Bullets. I went back and forth between the two for a few months trying to determine any differences in effectiveness. I decided that there was not any glaring difference except for the speed of results. Enemeez was much faster, with results typically within two minutes, often within one minute. I don't use multiple doses. I always follow my bowel program with a hand shower cleanup. The hard spray of hot water prompts more bowel movement about 90 percent of the time--usually a little more but sometimes a lot more.

I too have heard the advice for an empty rectal vault. As a quad with little hand function, that's about as useful to me as saying that I should go jogging before a bowel program. Enemeez seems to function well regardless.

When my son first started Enemeez it worked right away. It's been working great since '09. All of a sudden, about a year ago, he started using 2 every day for his BP. There are some days where he will use 3. He has tried EVERYTHING and still needs 2 Enemeez to completely empty out. We are at the point that "whatever it takes, do it"! After 12 years of dealing with sci and bowel programs, we are both sick of it! No one has any answers, it's constant trial and error, even our gastro doc doesn't have any answers! I'm so sick of it! It's bad enough you all are in wheelchairs, you would think that God, if in fact he does exist, would cut you some slack and at least let you all take a crap like everyone else! I'm tired of all the drama that comes with this! I don't want to hear how bad laxatives are, how bad senna is, I'm sick of hearing about mega colon! Sci and bowels are what they are! Until the medical community can come up with other options for sci bowels, I just don't see what choices there are. I'm sorry for the rant! I guess it's "bowel overload"!

Unfortunately, Mombo, you are right. The bowel and bladder are connected to the spinal cord, as you know. So it all gets effected. I don't have any magic answers, but try to give out the best information and support I can. I can not imagine totally what having a spinal cord injury is like, but can imagine pieces of it, since I do have a GI disease. You can only do the best you can.
    ckf

After reading this I have a question or two. I do not use any of those products and rely on my wife to do digital stimulation every night. How do I know that I've emptied everything out? A couple of months ago I ended up going to the ER (my primary dr. suggested going to the ER if I wanted to get answers sooner because all the equipment is there) because I was having, and still have, a burning pain in my lower right abdomen. The ER doc ordered a CT scan of abdomen and the results showed that I was backed up pretty good. He suggested an enema and drinking a strong laxative for a couple of days. We do the bowel program every night and get something out. Is it common to be backed up like that and is there any problem if I am. Thanks.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Unfortunately, Mombo, you are right. The bowel and bladder are connected to the spinal cord, as you know. So it all gets effected. I don't have any magic answers, but try to give out the best information and support I can. I can not imagine totally what having a spinal cord injury is like, but can imagine pieces of it, since I do have a GI disease. You can only do the best you can.
    ckf
    Thanks CKF, I didn't mean any disrespect to you or any other nurses on CC, you all are the best and we are so lucky to have you! The frustration is just too much some times and, since I was out of vino, a rant seemed like the next best thing! Mea culpa!

Quote Originally Posted by Mombo View Post
    Thanks CKF, I didn't mean any disrespect to you or any other nurses on CC, you all are the best and we are so lucky to have you! The frustration is just too much some times and, since I was out of vino, a rant seemed like the next best thing! Mea culpa!
    "Mombo," absolutely no Mea Culpa necessary! If this forum isn't the place where we can rave and rant about the difficulties of it all, where else can we do it. You have contributed so much great insight and information to this forum, and I for one, appreciate your insights and suggestion.

All the best,
    GJ

I'll second what GJ said Mombo. We need our rants!

Also, I hope things transition quickly for you GJ.
    We usually get results from Enemeez quickly...a couple minutes. Apply on left side and quickly transfer OR lately (because of sore) she has preferred to just stay on her side in bed.