Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tilite quality

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live

Tilite quality

I got a new TiLite chair and it is one problem after another and vendor is having problems with TiLite refusing to cover them. I've had several TiLite and this chair is a turd. Brand new one of the casters doesn't roll worth the crap without backing the screw out, so I have to really keep an eye on that to make sure it doesn't come out, as it is barely "snug". Not even 1 week with the new chair and the CF camber tube had one of the plugs come out. They got a new one no problem and swapped it out. The compact scissor brakes keeping popping loose, even when sitting still. Now, the replacement camber tube is coming apart. It is a Aero T with titanium ultra light package.because of coding changes, this was the way it was configured instead of just getting a TR3 like I had previously. I had the CF camber tube on my TR3 and never had any separation issues that many had experienced, but my new one sucks. One would think after 4 years they would have fixed the problem? Now, the brakes. Tilite told the vendor they never have issued with them and they were refusing to send new ones under warranty and are blaming me and/or the vendor not being able to adjust them properly. They ARE defective, they don't "lock" properly and there is no positive engagement and the slightest bump will cause them to release. That sure sounds re-assuring they will stand behind their product. After arguing back and forth, the vendor finally got them to send new brakes and when installed, there is a noticeable difference in how they engage. The new ones are almost difficult to release. When the vendor was putting the new brakes on, I showed them the camber tube coming apart, AGAIN. Never have fixed the caster issue, they tried new bearings, but looking at it, the cap is rubbing on the caster itself when tightened down, like the caster itself has a bearing cup that wasn't machined correctly. This isn't my first problems with TiLite customer service,m even before permobil. When I switched from a TR to a TR3, I used the exact same specs, but added an inch to the frame. When it arrived, it was a half inch SHORTER. TiLite said that was within specs. as the CAD shows (+/- 1") in the dimensions? Vendor ate the cost and ordered a new frame with +2 and it ended up only about a half inch longer than my TR with no added frame length and all the other specs being the same. Waiting to hear back about the camber tube(again) and caster?

I should also add, the vendor was told that if I "worked/adjusted on" the chair, they would absolutely refuse warranty. I worked for a living turning wrenches and still do a lot of wrenching. Think can handle simple adjustments of a wheelchair, more than many vendors can.

I have had 2 Ti's and am due for a new chair. From what I have read recently, I should switch.

What other chairs should I consider?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I have had 2 Ti's and am due for a new chair. From what I have read recently, I should switch.

What other chairs should I consider?

Thanks
    Problem is, what will insurance cover and from who? I don't have many choices, really only 2 TiLite from one vendor and Invacare from another vendor that is a total D-bag that has no idea what he is doing, even has lost/didn't renew his certification. If paying out of pocket, I would try a Mike Box chair.

My first chair was a tilite zra2. I was happy with it because I didn't know what to expect in term of quality and fitment. I recently went back for a 2nd chair and decided to go with the tilite aero T. The chair doesn't roll straight. I took it back to the rehab place that I had the chair ordered and they tried to fix it but it didn't help. I even brought the chair to the expo and left it over night for them to work on it. It's still not rolling straight. After back and fort I gave up on it. still use my old chair 90% of the time. The problem is the place that I went to only have tilite chairs to try out. I'm not sure if they even have one Quickie.
    T3 Complete
    to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    I got a new TiLite chair and it is one problem after another ...
    I am so sorry you are having these problems. It's awful. Thank you for telling the rest of us though. My last Tilite was perfect (TR2). I was always impressed with the quality. If this isn't a one off with your chair and this is really how things have gone, geez. I hoped to one day get TR3 but that was if the great old Tilite quality was there.

As for options, I am running an Icon. Because it is adjustable you can make some great changes after you get it and keep experimenting. Really versatile. It's also the toughest chair I have ever had. I don't think you can kill this thing. My two complaints about the Icon though are one, the creak. I cannot get the chair to run quiet and I have tried everything I can think to try. Super tight, snug, looser, friction paste. I just live with the noise.

The second complaint .. it's not a flaw at all just something that isn't the way I like it. On the Icon the seat stays smooth when going over whatever but the cantilevered wing (front end assembly with casters) telegraphs every vibration and bump like a wooden wagon. Coming from a Tilite TR2 where it always felt like I was riding over velvet, I really notice. Also, because of the rought ride at the front end, a lot of drumming noise comes off the footrest.

The price of the Icon has come down so much and it is such a great chair that I would definitely recommend it. If I knew my measurements exactly, knowing I would not need or want to change anything, I would want at Tilite TR3 (until you reported about quality changes).

The Icon is incredibly tough, in my experience it simply will not fail no matter what you do it. The adjustability has opened my mind to the fit possibilities and the rear suspension is nice. Though I can say that my Tilite TR2 ran so smooth that it felt about the same going off curbs or over obstacles and that's saying a lot when comparing a suspended chair to an un-suspended one. That's how good the TR2 was.

I would say check out an Icon. With some options you can really make it nice. It's about the same weight, the easiest to push chair I've ever had (including the TR2) and so tough you can feel good knowing that everyday it's going to get you where you need to be.

Pictures speak louder than words.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    Pictures speak louder than words.

Ti
    What does your post mean? I do not understand.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    What does your post mean? I do not understand.
    Not sure what he means, either? I could take pics of the brakes and caster all day long, but you couldn't tell how they were functioning or malfunctioning from a picture.
    BTW, I have an Icon I've been trying to sell. Just didn't work for me with the narrow wing and flimsy footplate. As I bought one out of the first batch, Jeff was good about making sure I was getting updated parts, but it just never worked. Sucks, because it is definitely the best handling chair I've used. Not sure what ever happened to getting the wider wing that was talked about? I never could figure floor to chair transfers with it either.

So, I was out in the garage doing some work and I was moving around when all the sudden my wheel came OFF. Camber tube slid all the way out when I was turning around. I see the glue is not the problem, as I sit on 3 wheels with the 4th in my lap. The camber plug has carbon fiber all over it, so the glue is holding. It's the carbon fiber separating. I did take a picture, but need to upload and resize it. POS chair