Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knees together

Knees together

How do you measure/fit a chair so that your knees sit close together? Surely it's not all from a cushion? Years ago I had a shadow and my knees sat .5" apart resulting in better sitting balance and the ability to carry things on my lap. Measuring for new chair today so thought I'd ask you guys for input

Thanks,
    roller

I assume you are talking about a manual chair, but yes, control of external hip rotation (which is what causes your knees to come apart) is mostly achieved with the cushion, not the chair, but proper foot support and not having your knees too high when on the foot support will both help to keep your knees together and avoid excess pressure on your ischiums.

Most power chairs and some manual chairs have an optional thigh later support to prevent excessive knee spread, but you have to be very careful with these as I have seen fibular head pressure ulcers result from these.

Hip contractures in external rotation, either from failure to position the legs in a neutral position when lying on your back in bed, or not doing good leg ROM exercises routinely will only make this more problematic.

(KLD)

It's probably a good idea to be measured for the new chair with the cushion you are going to use with the chair. Then you will get a more accurate measurement from your knees to the footplate. If the footplate is too high, your knees will splay and there may be too much pressure on your ischials. If the footplate is too low, there will be too much weight on the back of you thighs causing problems with circulation. Seat depth is another important consideration. If your cushion and seat depth are too short (shallow) you may have some hip abduction that allows your knees to splay. So, it is a combination of your cushion and proper measurements that make a wheelchair work for you,

All the best,
    GJ

Hey Roller! This one? Check out the dump:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Hey Roller! This one? Check out the dump:
    Hey, that's my kitchen!!

I like my knees together too and achieve this through a tapered seat. My seat tapers from 18 to 16 and paid extra for custom narrow footrest on my T6 Crossfire. As a result front down tubes make contact with my legs several inches below my knees holding my legs close together. The pressure of the tubes against my legs doesn't bother me, not sure this would be the case for all. My Ride Design Custom Cushion is not tapered at all, 18 front and rear. It's the seat taper that holds my knees close.

I use a Ride Designs Java cushion and it has foam channels that velcro to the cushion, so you have the ability to keep your legs as wide or close together as you want. I don't even use the ones in the center. And the image below is just the base of the cushion obviously, there is a foam layer that sits on top of it.

I know there will be people unhappy about the possibility of constricted blood flow but I use a velcro strap like the ones that keep your feet from sliding off the back of the footplate. I wrap it around the calves right below the knee. I hang my cell phone in a holster from it as well. Been doing it for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Beagle View Post
    I know there will be people unhappy about the possibility of constricted blood flow but I use a velcro strap like the ones that keep your feet from sliding off the back of the footplate. I wrap it around the calves right below the knee. I hang my cell phone in a holster from it as well. Been doing it for 15 years.
    We used a strap around the thighs (wide elastic with velcro closure) for my mother. Could keep it under the hem of her dress so it did not show. Remember that "splaying" of the legs comes from the hips, not the knee, so you will have more control by controlling hip joint rotation.

(KLD)

I started strapping my knees together for two reasons:
    1- carrying things on my lap or say a beer between my legs.
    2- It makes me feel a lot more stable in the chair, more "one with the chair" while rolling