Thread: Rubber/latex catheters

Rubber/latex catheters

There has been talk in the past about allergies from the rubber/latex catheters. What symptoms do you experience to know there may be an issue with the catheters? Could it cause skin issues on your butt?
    Last edited by Donnaz; 05-12-2016 at 08:20 AM.

Latex allergy can be expressed as full anaphylaxis (hives, problems breathing, circulatory collapse). Sensitivity (which usually occurs before full allergy) can result in a rash, either dry or weepy, in the area of contact if it is skin, or bleeding and discharge if it is an area of mucosa such as the bladder, urethra, or rectum. Latex glove use can be the culprit, esp. cheap latex that has powder.

It would not cause a pressure ulcer, if that is what you are asking.

People with SCI are in the top 3 groups of medical conditions at risk for developing latex allergy (the other two groups being those with spina bifida and cerebral palsy) so we recommend that you avoid latex exposure whenever possible, especially exposure of internal organs or mucosa as these appear to be the highest risk for causing the sensitivity.

(KLD)

The last couple of years my skin seems so sensitive on my butt. I transfer and I will get skin sheer and I have real dry skin in places. Have troubles healing the skin once it breaks down from the transfers. Once I get the skin tore off I get the chills and it is constantly bleeds a little and will not heal. I don't want it to turn into something bigger. Never had an issue for 25 years and now it seems to be a regular problem and is frustrating. Sit on a Roho cushion and have adjusted the pressure in that but nothing seems to help. Tried using differents creams and A&D ointment seems to rub off on clothes. Thought I might be allergic to something.

Not sure if Lanacane anti chafing would help or not.
    Last edited by Donnaz; 05-12-2016 at 10:41 AM.

Sad to say, all the changes you are describing are consistent with how our skin changes with AGING. The collagen fibers get thicker, but also more brittle, which can lead to problems such as easy skin tears. Decrease in oil glands leads to dryer skin. Environmental factors like years of sun exposure or tobacco product use can also cause premature skin aging, which includes thinning of the dermis and epidermis.

Your skin becomes much more vulnerable to shear and friction, but also to pressure due to these changes. Bad skin care habits (like dragging your butt during transfers) that you got away with when younger may now come back and bite you. You may need to re-evaluate how you do activities such as weight shifts and transfers and turns in bed to reduce effects of shear and friction, and increase the amount of pressure reducing properties of w/c cushions and mattresses.

(KLD)

A question for the nurse .......... would rubbing in moisturisers help with keeping the skin hydrated as we age?

If so, is there is special type we should use?

Yes you need to moisturizer the skin but to prevent pressure injury you need to do weight shifts every 15 minutes and pressure released every 30 minutes to every hour if you are able. CWO

Thankyou CWO.

I often forget to do enough lifts off the seat, so must make an effort to do them more often.

Just to clarify on your meaning ........... weight shifts are just moving about in my chair, or having a little wriggle ..... while pressure releases are actually lifting my weight up off the seat?

Many people use the terms interchangeably, but what you need to do is raise/lift/weight shift/pressure release so you have no or minimal weight on your butt at least every 15 minutes when seated in a wheelchair or on a toilet/commode. There are several methods used to do this. Which do you use?

It is not just moisture that changes in your skin with aging, but also the thickness of the dermis and epidermis, and the quality of the collagen in your skin, which becomes more brittle and less stretchy, often resulting in skin tears.

(KLD)

Thankyou KLD.

I am a paraplegic, so lift myself up off my cushion when doing a pressure lift., by pushing on the wheelchair tyres.

I have been dealing with a stage 4 pressure wound for over a year now, and while it's almost healed, it still has about a 2 cm. sinus remaining.
    I've read on this site that others have recommended the vitamin Biotin for healthy skin. Is this something I should be taking too. I already have a protein sachet of Enpricol each day, as well as a multi vitamin, fish oil and glucosamine.
    I welcome any suggestions for keeping my skin as healthy as possible. I'm 62, so the aging issue is something I have to consider.