Thread: Sodium Chloride water or Sterile water for Indwelling Catheter's ballon?

Sodium Chloride water or Sterile water for Indwelling Catheter's ballon?

Suddenly got mixed up which should I use for Indwelling Catheter? Had a sudden increase of sediments which cause frequent blockage, with no urine infection(did a test already). My mum suddenly told me that the catheter seller said we should use sterile water instead of sodium chloride water. As the package looks the same, I don't if I got it mixed up.

Fill the balloon with sterile water. Flush, irrigate or instill with normal saline. Sterile water is very irritating to the mucosa (lining) of the bladder. NS 0.9% (normal saline) is called that because that is also the saline or salt content of your blood, so it is best for cleaning wounds, irrigating catheters, etc. It is what they use in the operating room to irrigate the inside of your body to rinse away blood, etc. as well.

If you are suddenly having more blockages and this is not remedied by drinking more fluids (to keep your urine more dilute), you may want to discuss Renacidin bladder instillation with your urologist, but I would also want to screen you for possible stones/sludge/sand in your bladder.

(KLD)

Yeah, have an appointment coming. Thanks for the info.

A change in diet may also cause more sediment or at least it does for me. Dairy products seam to be the culprit in my diet, if I eat too much I get more sediment.

My .02
    ^^(A)^^