Thread: Flap Surgery for Pressue Ulcer

Flap Surgery for Pressue Ulcer

Had flap surgery, Monday, May 22. All went well. My ischiel bone was scraped and smoothed. Two muscles and flesh were pulled into place to construct the flap. Biopsies of the bone revealed a staphylococcus infection, however, according to Doc, appears benign.

Now on Clinitron bed, with no movement that would irritate the flap, that could prevent adhesion of the muscles covering my ischiel bone. In total I expect to be in hospital seven weeks, most spent in bed.

I am in Augusta, Ga. VA hospital. Receiving fabulous treatment from tremendous doctors, PAs nurses, LPNs and other care givers.

First pressure sore in nearly 15 years.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

What day? 5/2? We are not to 5/22 yet!!

If your bone biopsy was positive for staph, an infectious disease physician should have been consulted to determine if treatment with antibiotics was indicated. Flapping over untreated osteomyelitis like that can lead to flap breakdown.

Now is the time to really push your nutrition too, esp. protein. We generally want our flap patients to be eating at least 120 gm. of dietary protein daily, and we check their CRP and pre-albumin blood levels weekly.

(KLD)

SCI Nurse, you're correct. Surgery was 2 May. Am working with infectious disease physicians. Started a antibiotic regimine, plus a special high protein drink each morning.

Pretty boring now. Looking forward to have drain tube removed and later the sutures.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now