Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone drive from their rigid manual chair?

So the guy who sold me my TiLite Aero T told me it wasn't legal for driving.
    I hope he was wrong.

Of course he didn't tell me that in the hospital when he sold it to me, but in my home at delivery. I still don't have my hand controls endorsement (thanks to the state of Ohio dragging its feet), but I would much rather have had a chair I could drive in so long as it didn't sacrifice to much on mobility.

EZ Lock looks amazing.

Many power and manual wheelchair manufacturers say in their warranty that the chair is not warrantied for driving, nor has it been crash tested. This is done from their legal dept. to try to avoid any liability issues. Few chairs are crash tested, and some restraints systems are not either (EZ-Lock has been crash tested, as has Q'Straint). It is not "illegal" to drive from your chair, either manual or power, in any state that I am familiar with.

(KLD)

"I have to press a button on the dash to unlock my chair so I can get away from the steering wheel. This device then sends a signal to the vehicle's computer to let it know I there so the airbag can be activated. Sounds like when your friend gets in his truck the airbag isn't activated. How is the airbag activated when your friend gets in to drive?"

There is no driver's seat occupancy detector; there is an assumption that if there is an accident there was a driver.
    Seat occupancy detectors are required to detect the weight of an adult in the passengers seat and deploy the passenger side airbag(s) when required.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Many power and manual wheelchair manufacturers say in their warranty that the chair is not warrantied for driving, nor has it been crash tested. This is done from their legal dept. to try to avoid any liability issues.
    (KLD)
    If I remember right, I read the label or brochure on one of my manual chairs that it was not recommended for use in transporting in a vehicle. I took that to mean I couldn't sit in it while the chair was strapped to the foor in my van.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

Quote Originally Posted by DaDutchman View Post
    If I remember right, I read the label or brochure on one of my manual chairs that it was not recommended for use in transporting in a vehicle. I took that to mean I couldn't sit in it while the chair was strapped to the foor in my van.
    And yet if you are taking the bus or paratransit in your manual chair, you sit in the chair and are strapped in place (the frame of the chair, not you!). Like I said, it is just something they say to avoid having any liability if the chair fails during an accident...etc. You are not breaking the law...so it is not "illegal".

(KLD)

So are there any options out there to lock the chair down without having a bolt hanging off the bottom of the chair?

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    No head restraint.

Most power chairs i see people drive from have no head rest.

There are a lot of vehicles out there with no head rest.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

I drive a Ford E150 using a Ti-Lite-TR with a ZX1. The EZ-Lock bolt is connected to the ZX1, so the TR remains unmodified. To provide stability and prevent tipping I installed a bracket on the floorboard that hooks over the WC frame at the footrest. It's a good system.
    Know Thyself

Quote Originally Posted by Rick1 View Post
    I drive a Ford E150 using a Ti-Lite-TR with a ZX1. The EZ-Lock bolt is connected to the ZX1, so the TR remains unmodified. To provide stability and prevent tipping I installed a bracket on the floorboard that hooks over the WC frame at the footrest. It's a good system.
    thats kinda what I was thinking of doing. Do you have any pictures of the floorboard bracket you put in?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    And yet if you are taking the bus or paratransit in your manual chair, you sit in the chair and are strapped in place (the frame of the chair, not you!). Like I said, it is just something they say to avoid having any liability if the chair fails during an accident...etc. You are not breaking the law...so it is not "illegal".

(KLD)
    That's the funny part, well not really, that your chair is strapped in and you're not. It really makes no sense. That is one of my biggest fears, getting in an accident and hoping the vehicle doesn't roll because in most cases I'm only wearing a shoulder belt.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident