Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone drive from their rigid manual chair?

Anyone drive from their rigid manual chair?

Got a friend who had his truck modified to lift him into and drive from his manual chair. But nothing keeps his chair from tilting backward whenever he gets on the gas kinda hard. The brakes keep the rear wheels still but the front casters lift up under acceleration. Anyone have any solutions for strapping/locking the front of the chair down? Surely lots of people drive vans from their manual chairs...

EDIT**
    I did some digging on the EZ lock floor base, etc. Now this isn't my truck but I would like to find a way to lock my chair down without having a bolt, bracket, etc. that's always on my chair, because of ground clearance and added weight. So what options would he have to lock down his chair without something like the EZ lock?
    Last edited by Brad09; 05-06-2016 at 02:48 PM.

I drive from my chair. I drive a van and when I roll-up to the steering wheel a bolt that is connected to my chair locks into a device on the floor. It is called an inter-lock system. When the bolt gets into this device it locks my chair in place so in combination with my wheel brakes I don't move, period. I have to press a button on the dash to unlock my chair so I can get away from the steering wheel. This device then sends a signal to the vehicle's computer to let it know I there so the airbag can be activated. Sounds like when your friend gets in his truck the airbag isn't activated. How is the airbag activated when your friend gets in to drive?
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

I was under the impression that lightweight manual chairs weren't legal for driving...?

Quote Originally Posted by DaDutchman View Post
    I drive from my chair. I drive a van and when I roll-up to the steering wheel a bolt that is connected to my chair locks into a device on the floor. It is called an inter-lock system. When the bolt gets into this device it locks my chair in place so in combination with my wheel brakes I don't move, period. I have to press a button on the dash to unlock my chair so I can get away from the steering wheel. This device then sends a signal to the vehicle's computer to let it know I there so the airbag can be activated. Sounds like when your friend gets in his truck the airbag isn't activated. How is the airbag activated when your friend gets in to drive?
    Im not sure to be honest. I guess I thought it was always activated...ill ask him. Does the bolt on your chair not catch on everything you roll over? Are you in a manual or power chair? I would rather find a way to lock it down without having something always attached to the chair. I was thinking more like bolting a strap to the floor that he could just hook to his chair, but would stay in the truck when he gets out.

Also, I edited/added to my original post for those just now seeing this.
    Last edited by Brad09; 05-06-2016 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    Got a friend who had his truck modified to lift him into and drive from his manual chair. But nothing keeps his chair from tilting backward whenever he gets on the gas kinda hard. The brakes keep the rear wheels still but the front casters lift up under acceleration. Anyone have any solutions for strapping/locking the front of the chair down? Surely lots of people drive vans from their manual chairs...

EDIT**
    I did some digging on the EZ lock floor base, etc. Now this isn't my truck but I would like to find a way to lock my chair down without having a bolt, bracket, etc. that's always on my chair, because of ground clearance and added weight. So what options would he have to lock down his chair without something like the EZ lock?
    Sounds like he's not secured with any sort of lock down.

Does he have a Ez-Lock in the truck?

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I was under the impression that lightweight manual chairs weren't legal for driving...?
    I've never heard of that.

I can see how driving with a unsecured wheelchair might be.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    Im not sure to be honest. I guess I thought it was always activated...ill ask him. Does the bolt on your chair not catch on everything you roll over? Are you in a manual or power chair? I would rather find a way to lock it down without having something always attached to the chair. I was thinking more like bolting a strap to the floor that he could just hook to his chair, but would stay in the truck when he gets out.

Also, I edited/added to my original post for those just now seeing this.
    I'm in my manual chair, a TI - TX. So far, and I have had the bolt on for almost 3 years, it has not caught on anything. I'm sure it has probably come close, but not yet. This does prevent my chair from being folded which is a pain if I want to go some place in someone else's vehicle.
    DaDutchman

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    I've never heard of that.

I can see how driving with a unsecured wheelchair might be.

Jim
    No head restraint.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    To my knowledge it is fine. EZ-Lock has a compatibility chart so you can check to see if their system will work with your chair.
    DaDutchman

No he doesn't have an EZ lock right now. I'm not even sure he's driving it until he gets this figured out.