Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Weirdest UTI yet, which antibiotic?

  1. #21
    MRI works best on tissue that has a high water content. For some stones, this is the case (struvite stones esp.) but in a calcium oxalate or other type of stone there is very little water, so may not show up well.

    (KLD)

  2. #22
    Thnx kld, learn something new everytime I come here.

    So the chemistry's done on urine and it's the same as the last positive test, but more hemoglobin: positive nitrates, protein, hemoglobin and major leukotytes, my urine looks and smells identical too, so I'm sure it's the same one back just 2 days after being gone.

    Because it takes so firkin long to do a c&s, I guess tomorrow I'll ask my dr. for the fosfomycin again, it worked last time. If I wait 4 more days it will be really bad, pain & cramping, tightness now. Hopefully my mri results are in too, maybe they found something, I hope so, this is driving me nuts.

    KLd, I just had a ct, what could a ultrasound show that a ct wouldn't, is that the same as mri & water content?

  3. #23
    No, a CT would show stones. You should get another C&S cooking before starting another course of any antibiotic. A one-time dose is not going to treat an infection that keeps coming back over and over. Please get a referral to an infectious disease physician. When did you last have urodynamics testing?

    (KLD)

  4. #24
    maybe ureter is obstructed, ultra shows that
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeygirl View Post
    Thnx kld, learn something new everytime I come here.

    So the chemistry's done on urine and it's the same as the last positive test, but more hemoglobin: positive nitrates, protein, hemoglobin and major leukotytes, my urine looks and smells identical too, so I'm sure it's the same one back just 2 days after being gone.

    Because it takes so firkin long to do a c&s, I guess tomorrow I'll ask my dr. for the fosfomycin again, it worked last time. If I wait 4 more days it will be really bad, pain & cramping, tightness now. Hopefully my mri results are in too, maybe they found something, I hope so, this is driving me nuts.

    KLd, I just had a ct, what could a ultrasound show that a ct wouldn't, is that the same as mri & water content?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  5. #25
    ''I'll tell her to order ultrasound, but it will prolly take 4- 6mths to get one.'' 4 to 6 month wait for a test that takes 30 mins.Socialized medicine is great until you get sick.Certain stones can double or triple in size in that time.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    No, a CT would show stones. You should get another C&S cooking before starting another course of any antibiotic. A one-time dose is not going to treat an infection that keeps coming back over and over. Please get a referral to an infectious disease physician. When did you last have urodynamics testing?

    (KLD)
    I don't have stones according to ct Mar, 15. Oddly enough I got this infection the day after the ct. I cathed at hospital, that's prolly how I got it?

    I am waiting on c&s, I took it in yesterday, so I won't know till mon or tues which antibiotics it's sensitive to. But like I said, it's identical to the last one in every way including the chemistry except for more hemoglob.

    An infectious disease dr? For uti's? What would they do? I don't get it? I thought they did stuff like hep & aids etc?

    I last had uro done 2yrs ago,I'm waiting for appt now @ Blusson Spinal Cord Centre, who knows when I get in. My pressures were ok, hadn't changed in yrs. I take 15mg Enablex a day.
    I used to take Ditropan till I read about the cognitive problems...phftt I already took it for 25 yrs though, so who knows?

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeygirl View Post
    I don't have stones according to ct Mar, 15. Oddly enough I got this infection the day after the ct. I cathed at hospital, that's prolly how I got it?

    I am waiting on c&s, I took it in yesterday, so I won't know till mon or tues which antibiotics it's sensitive to. But like I said, it's identical to the last one in every way including the chemistry except for more hemoglob.

    An infectious disease dr? For uti's? What would they do? I don't get it? I thought they did stuff like hep & aids etc?

    I last had uro done 2yrs ago,I'm waiting for appt now @ Blusson Spinal Cord Centre, who knows when I get in. My pressures were ok, hadn't changed in yrs. I take 15mg Enablex a day.
    I used to take Ditropan till I read about the cognitive problems...phftt I already took it for 25 yrs though, so who knows?
    Infectious disease doctors have extensive training in all types of infections and are particular adept at managing antibiotic treatments. Your primary care doctor or urologist have a broader spectrum of problems to treat and often don't know or don't take the time to artfully manipulate antibiotic treatment. Time and time again, you will read on this forum about primary care doctors and urologists who don't require urinalysis (UA) or culture & sensitivity (C&S) before prescribing an antibiotic and generally throw the biggest bomb, usually Cipro, at the urinary tract infection or don't consider our urinary tract infections as complex and prescribe short courses of antibiotics or don't require follow up testing after a course of infection. When urinary tract infections become frequent and recurring, an infectious disease doctor will oversee the administration of IV drugs. I'm not saying that the primary care doctor and urologist are incompetent to treat urinary tract infections, but they are overwhelmed or distracted by other types of case work.

    All the best,
    GJ

  8. #28
    I got her to make an appt w/ infectious disease dr. but who knows when I see him? In the meantime she wrote me script for the fosfomycin. I just don't know whether to wait till culture on mon, tues or just take it now, chills are setting in and it's 28c outside & 23c inside, heads hot temp 38.7, could just be because I just got home and it's really hot outside?

    I'm 99% sure it's the same one,plus it took 3 days to kill it....

  9. #29
    If you have already submitted your urine for C&S, you can take the antibiotics, but not before collecting the specimen. Was the C&S already collected?

    (KLD)

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If you have already submitted your urine for C&S, you can take the antibiotics, but not before collecting the specimen. Was the C&S already collected?

    (KLD)
    Yes, thurs morn, my hubby just went to get it cause I hit 39 , but chills stopped,not waiting til mon or tues, pretty painfull in the abdomen this time, lots of sharp pains..grrrrrr....

Similar Threads

  1. Weirdest paratransit ride ever!
    By Eileen in forum Life
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 12:20 PM
  2. Antibiotic and UTI
    By Seenkid101 in forum Care
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 10:09 AM
  3. UTI and antibiotic
    By timbits mom in forum Care
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2008, 06:55 PM
  4. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 02:21 PM
  5. Antibiotic use?
    By SLBD in forum Care
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-09-2002, 09:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •