Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First wound in 42 years

Hi Pat,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I am just overcoming a very long stint in bed. Have been laying down since October 2015.
    Had a pressure flap surgery performed. Part of flap failed and I have been on a wound vac with 23 hours bed rest daily for 2 1/2 weeks now. They literally only used the clinitron bed for 13 days with me and my surgery was very extensive.
    Have over 150 stitches just to close outside tissue.
    The bed is loud, but you get used to it in 48 hours or so.
    Why they say to not move in the bed, do just that. You can literally stay in exact same position for days and days and won't have any skin issues at all. Moving I guarantee will damage all the very fragile healing tissue.
    Eat tons of protein, I'm doing 150g daily. Lots of water also.
    Inquire and insist on drinking a product named Juven. It's proven to help heal recent surgery sites. The hospital should have it. Mix with water and have 3x's a day. Usually with meals. Orange flavor reminds me of orange Gatorade.
    If you feel you need more time in clinitron bed, then by all means appeal the doctors decision.
    I wished I would have.
    Have family members who are doctors and they even said I should of been in clinitron bed for 30 dsy's easily since surgery was so major.
    Best of luck to you and hope you bounce back quick and get out and enjoy activities before our Winter sets in, which will be here before we know it.

Eddie

thanks guys, still not date for the surgery. Man this is like a roller coaster in emotions; sometimes wishing I would die in surgery. The six weeks in the clinitron isn't the big deal; it's the what after I'm out. Took the bike out a few times to record my routes on the GoPro and will download to the IPad when it arrives. I feel so done with this.

Hang in there....you're a tough fellow and have had the training for a fight. Keep looking for the aces in the deck!

Bugger! Sorry to hear this Patrick, just goes to show that even the most bomb proof of us can't drop our guard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Sorry you'll be in bed a while. If you like a good read, but don't want to deal with holding or propping up a book, have a friend or family member go to a library that has audio books and check out Cutting for Stone and or Erik Larson's Dead Wake: The crossing of the Lusitania. Both are read very well and extraordinarily compelling.

All the best,
    GJ
    Anything by Erik Larson is an excellent read!
    That's tough luck Pat...

sorry to hear this pat hang in there my friend
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Pat remember PMA and you'll get through this.

Very sorry to read this Patrick. I was locked out because of IP address for several weeks so I didn't see original post until today. Thinking of you and wishing all the best, heal fast.

Exchanged emails with Pat today, he's had a rough go of it. I don't have confirmed permission to relate all the details yet but he is on the mend and is looking forward to being able to get back on cc. I'll provide more info when I can.

Edit got permission from Pat to add details.
    "It's been a long tough road. Was admitted to hospital on May 3rd when sepsis infected the wound. Had surgery twice to clean out the wound along with massive antibiotics. Plastic surgeon closed the wound on May tenth. Been in Clinitron bed since May third and transferred to an extended care May 22nd. Got stitches out last week along with a different bed. Will start getting up on Friday for 30 minutes 3 times a day graduating to two hours by the23rd then trustfully home."
    Last edited by canuck; 06-09-2016 at 10:17 AM. Reason: sdded detail

Tell Patrick everyone is pulling for him. Personally I was getting worried because of the silence, thanks for the update.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.