Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First wound in 42 years

Dang Patrick, sorry to hear this. As another old timer, coming up on 44 years, it frightens me to think of getting my first pressure. I have a friend that has been in bed with a sore for over a year. I honestly don't think I could survive that. Good luck brother, heal quickly.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Here's hoping all goes well and fast...Don't have any ideas other than what has already been said.

I'm sorry to read this Patrick, six weeks in bed is not your style. You probably already know this method, but what I do is to put something flat down like a transfer board (or anything else) on too soft surfaces to spread out the weight better.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Not sure on the bike ... stander shouldn't be a problem.

I'm so sorry to read this! It will be a weak spot that has to be watched forever. Protein, water, protein, water and then some more protein.

I got into Mad Men a few years ago when I had to be hospitalized. That got me into Breaking Bad (a must see!). I think you would enjoy The Wire too. Did a lot of time on here - don't stop interacting with us because there's nothing worse than feeling like the only person in the world going through bed rest for a wound you can't feel or control.

Do you have Facebook? A lot have migrated to that.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Blog Entries
    "A Band of Brothers" and "The Sopranos" can kill time as well.

Good luck healing pat! Six weeks in bed does suck but like lynnifer I think the stander wouldn't hurt unless that is where the pads hit. The but the bike I would think is out of the question till healed
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

dam Pat, i hate hearing this. 29 yrs hear no sores, im paranoid about it, 42 seems like a long way to go. chin up, be strong my friend.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Sorry you'll be in bed a while. If you like a good read, but don't want to deal with holding or propping up a book, have a friend or family member go to a library that has audio books and check out Cutting for Stone and or Erik Larson's Dead Wake: The crossing of the Lusitania. Both are read very well and extraordinarily compelling.

All the best,
    GJ

Did you ever find out the cause of the wound in the first place?

I agree with gjnl and recommend Larson's Dead Wake, it's fascinating and well written. And I also agree that audible books are good for hospitals. By the way, the Kindle app on the iPad also supports audio books.