Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Colostomy questions

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I found taking one Imodium tablet a day stopped all the leaking and watery stool issues. I have ziltch problems associated with the C. since adding the tablet to my daily intake.
    Weeks ago I was going to try that. But my bowel movements are already firm so I was worried about constipation.
    Eating seems to be clearing it all up.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Weeks ago I was going to try that. But my bowel movements are already firm so I was worried about constipation.
    Eating seems to be clearing it all up.
    I don't understand how ammonium OR diet would substantially change what kind of effluvia comes out my un-used lower colon/rectum.
    Am I wrong?

I have no problem with what exits my ostomy.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    I don't understand how ammonium OR diet would substantially change what kind of effluvia comes out my un-used lower colon/rectum.
    Am I wrong?

I have no problem with what exits my ostomy.
    I have no idea why. But when I go hungry I get gassy. And those are the times it seems I have large discharge. I don't like the weight gain, I can tell you that.

I've had a colostomy for 22 years. Drainage is unpredictable and I don't think it can really be controlled despite the anecdotal observations mentioned in this thread. Diet is key to most happenings with SCI folks. When I eat whatever I feel like my colostomy does whatever it feels like. If I eat a balanced diet of 1800-2200 calories per day things go well. If I eat 2500 one day and 3500 the next and ignore balance I get colostomy surprises. When I drop to 1600-1800 calories per day and my diet is balanced I tend to have days with no bag activity and low volume when it does come.

If I eat an entire Chef Boyardee pizza I can fill two large bags within several hours. This is what I consume when I want to clean myself out.

When I have drainage I get a flush feeling in my face about 15 minutes before it occurs. This happens 1-2 times per year and started in my 5th year. I haven't had it occur in the last 18 months.

After 3rd GI opinion, I am reluctantly getting lower GI removed

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Colitis is in all likelihood not related to the colostomy. Unfortunately, it occurs in both able bodied and SCI'd people. Having had a colostomy myself, I can tell you that there was NOTHING I did not do when I had it, including swimming. (Mine was reversed and was for other problems than SCI.)

Remember nothing is perfect and it will take a little while for you to work out the kinks in this. But, almost everything I have read or heard from people is positive.

Good luck in your decision - it is one that only you can make.

ckf
    As explained to me, I have "diversion colitis" caused by lack of nutrition (poop) to surfaces/colonies of lower bowel and rectum because nothing goes there anymore.
    I have dealt with chux and diapers for ~1year now and have lost the ability to be acceptant about it. Last GI Dr says there is high possibility that reconnecting the bowel would resolve it, but NO THANKS!
    I guess I'm putting this out as an invitation for a miracle!
    This will be complicated surgery: in addition to removing lower bowel, my plastic surgeon (who did my flap in 2012 when I got the colostomy) will need to pull an erectus muscle into my gut to create a support to replace what will be removed. Otherwise, existing intestines, etc will descend and likely become attached to abdominal wall, creating another huge problem.
    Comments?

PS: I am very happy with the performance/convenience of my colostomy; the only problem is almost daily mucosal and bloody discharge from butt.