Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy questions

I am really confused on this one. There is no such thing as "usual amount of colon remaining" after a colostomy. It is individual and depends on many factors. You might consider doing an enema from the rectum to clean things out and see what happens. Other than that, not sure what else to tell you.
    ckf

What was the name of that bowel flush apparatus ... ? Might help here.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

pfcs49, After 5yrs I started getting a lot of leakage. Its not a ton but very worrisome. Mostly clear with a tint of brown. I am going to try the immodium.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I am really confused on this one. There is no such thing as "usual amount of colon remaining" after a colostomy. It is individual and depends on many factors. You might consider doing an enema from the rectum to clean things out and see what happens. Other than that, not sure what else to tell you.
    ckf
    Me: I think there is more than the usual amount of colon remaining; the original colostomy was botched (backwards!) and remedied 12 days later

Because the colostomy was a cluster-fuck and the surgeon managed to clamp off my large in
    testine while attaching the lower bowel to the ostomy!
    Given the standard of care, I wouldn't be surprised that he left behind a longer lower part.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    pfcs49, After 5yrs I started getting a lot of leakage. Its not a ton but very worrisome. Mostly clear with a tint of brown. I am going to try the immodium.
    Ammonium hasn't had any effect on my problem. (I didn't expect so but there was nothing to loose)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    I don't usually get involved in colostomy discussions, partially because it depresses me that I made the choice to get one in 08'.

I thought I had done my homework, interviewed 4 different surgeons , read several positive articles, New Mobility, CC discussions etc.

I'm glad it works for most folks but it has been a very discouraging decision for me. I too am getting drainage, especially at night. I developed a hernia. The uncertainty of when I am going to have 3 bowel movements in a day versus 3-5 days without a bowel movement is a deterrent to making plans like I used to.
    The idea that things are reversible seem a bit of an oversimplification there is a lot of scar tissue, adhesion ,etc.

The surgeon I had planned to do original surgery went to teach @ Vanderbilt shortly before I made my final decision, I liked the practice a lot and though the new surgeon assured me of his competency and experience with SCI I think he was out of his league.

It's a serious surgery. You can't trick the body. My primary objective now at 38 years post injury is to try and avoid any surgeries or hospitals. Don't mean to be a downer but it's how things left me feeling and the impact on quality of life.

Not everyone has a positive experience with this - or anything for that matter. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and to sharing here. I think it is important to know the pro's and con's of anything.

I am sorry that your experience has not been a positive one. You may try going to an ostomy nurse (again) and seeing if there are any suggestions they can make.

ckf

pfcs49,
    I was having the same problem and think I might have solved it. Prior to the problem I changed my eating habits due to weight gain. So instead of eating throughout the day and before sleep I was only eating two big meals a day and going hungry. Which cause me to be gassy. So after about six weeks of this problem I just went back to my old eating habits and about a week later I started to see less discharge. And now its getting to be very little. So I think it has something to do with acid buildup in the stomach.

I'm interested to hear how this goes for you, Rainman.

Meanwhile, after consulting w/colo-rectal surgeon, I followed up with the surgeon who did my flap surgery in 2012 because he would need to be involved in removing lower bowel: he would have to do a supporting flap so the upper bowels don't descend into and adhere to lower abdomen.
    He told me he would take an erectus muscle (one of the abdominal "six-packs") for that. Since one of my major remaining pleasures is playing the trumpet, I was immediately scared that I would be losing a major element in supporting my air column when playing! Would I trade music for a dry butt?
    I visited my primary care dr who is a pulmonary guy and he couldn't answer the question.
    I'm in a holding pattern-as much as I hate the diaper, major surgery and the possibility of losing what I value is not on the table at this time.
    Boy, this (lack of) shit sucks!!

I found taking one Imodium tablet a day stopped all the leaking and watery stool issues. I have ziltch problems associated with the C. since adding the tablet to my daily intake.