I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

@Nurse-""The prep today is much easier than in the past and there may be some ways to assist you in the issues that you have, such as admitting you for observation.
    I do understand the issues you are concerned about, but if you are going to have a procedure, get the correct one.""

Again I have absolutely no symtoms related to any of the official diagnosed GI diseases. I'm regularly going to restroom.. Yet there's a burning sensation & twitching happening in my descending colon.
    Can you please just expand from your quote, what's the easier prep you say now days for say a full on colonoscopy.
    Or from info I provided do you have idea of observation tactics used for this please??
    I am the highway
    I am the sky
    I am the lightning

This ad popped on tv right away.. <It's a swallow , Yada yada, retrieve> cancer screening tech u do at home, no prep or change in routine..
    I'm 12 years quadra, could I maybe have cancer this early in injury..
    I do have a past of lengthy terms of being blocked & unregularity.. I just recently fashioned a convenient regular routine, but somethings awry. Can you package up a advising reply to these posts please..TYVM!
    & just for others knowledge::
    http://www.cologuardtest.com
    I am the highway
    I am the sky
    I am the lightning

I just got over a round of sepsis along with a shearing wound that required surgery and months in bed. With all the antibiotics etc, I was getting a lot of discharge from the rectum. Docs suggested it's was normal for those of us with a Sigmoid Loop colostomy to have discharge. It sure isn;t for me. they didn't know what to do really.

I got them to give me immodium to take some of the water out of the colon; making for a firmer stool. It worked like a charm. I take one tablet or gel tab of immodium in the morning and no more watery stool or leakage from the rectum. the stool is like a soft clay thickness.

I suggest you try immodium before getting any surgery for rectum removal.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I just got over a round of sepsis along with a shearing wound that required surgery and months in bed. With all the antibiotics etc, I was getting a lot of discharge from the rectum. Docs suggested it's was normal for those of us with a Sigmoid Loop colostomy to have discharge. It sure isn;t for me. they didn't know what to do really.

I got them to give me immodium to take some of the water out of the colon; making for a firmer stool. It worked like a charm. I take one tablet or gel tab of immodium in the morning and no more watery stool or leakage from the rectum. the stool is like a soft clay thickness.

I suggest you try immodium before getting any surgery for rectum removal.
    My last post here was: "This last round of treatment did no good. The GI doc tells me to go to a colo-rectal surgeon and get my lower colon and rectum removed.
    The last year has been dominated by this and trying to save my right foot from ulcers. Latest gambit: 2 months of hyperbaric oxygen.
    My life has become unmanageable, my body is in a tug of war with my business (www.philscars.com). I will close after 45 years on June 30th. The way forward is uncertain and scary."

The colorectal surgeon says this operation is not simple. That unless supported by a muscle-flap surgery, the small intestine will descend and possibly adhere to the abdominal wall over time.
    I have a contract of sale for the business and am going daily to hyperbaric oxygen therapy and antibiotic infusion for osteomylelitis; wounds are responding well.
    I consulted the surgeon ~2wks ago and await his conclusions.

I started Imodium yesterday!
    Fingers crossed.
    I want my life back!!
    Last edited by pfcs49; 07-26-2016 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    With all the antibiotics etc, I was getting a lot of discharge from the rectum. Docs suggested it's was normal for those of us with a Sigmoid Loop colostomy to have discharge. It sure isn't for me. they didn't know what to do really.
    This thread has me concerned. I'm scheduled for a Sigmoid loop next week. How common is it to have problems (and is it typically only small discharge) with fecal incontinence following a sigmoid loop?

I'm so sorry pfcs49 ... sounds like your year has been similar to mine. I went through with leaking stool for months; thankfully it's come to an end (pardon the pun) and now have the opposite issue.

I'm female so I can 'feel' outside of my body that the vaginal wall has moved and the rectum is now difficult to reach i.e. prolapse - this time of the bowel. I suspect that is at play with a lot posting in this thread. We just don't have the muscles or fascia keeping our organs in place as they 'spill out' with no abdominal muscles or intercostal msucles holding them in place.

I am awaiting Toronto for colostomy as well. My urologist offered to refer me back to the gyne for the issue, but I can see the writing on the wall ... that this will just happen again so I gave in and decided it was time for a stupid colostomy.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Fecal incontinence? The lower colon/rectum now have no connection to the upper; all rectal discharge is mucous and blood. The first two years there was virtually no discharge, just occasional small butt-snot on pants. Now I need a diaper by day, chux at night.

I've been on one Immodium/day 16 days and see no improvement in rectal leaks.

I haven't seen any other posters here with my situation. Spinal Nurse claims colostomy people only need fleet enemas on occasion?

have you spoken to your physician about this? Also, has anything changed? Especially medications or diet? Need more information to be able to send you in possibly the right direction.
    ckf

I have followed with two GI Drs over at least 10 months including upper/lower colonoscopy with first dr.
    Several special enema meds were tried over time with no improvement. Second Dr, after second 30 treatment with melamine enema 4G/60ML, stated "if not better, needs lower bowel removed"
    I think there is more than the usual amount of colon remaining; the original colostomy was botched (backwards!) and remedied 12 days later.
    I would be delighted to resolve this non-surgically!