Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Colostomy questions

I'm a t3 12 years post injury. My doctors are really trying to steer me into a colostomy.

I have read several threads here and am definitely considering it after getting information from them. I do have a few questions that I didn't find answers to in the past posts. Was hoping I could get some answers from others that have one.

I am very active, and am concerned about transferring, and bending over in the chair. I live alone so my daily activities include cleaning, laundry, and of course playing guitar. Does constant movement in a manual chair create problems?

My second concern is the fact that I have allot of hair on my stomach. Will this cause issues with sealing a bag and will shaving around the site create problems with skin irritation.

At night does the bag allow you to roll in bed? I turn my self during the night when I do my IC

Finaly are there any activities that simply can't be done with a colostomy such as swimming?

[QUOTE=M Nedela;1797857]I'm a t3 12 years post injury. My doctors are really trying to steer me into a colostomy.

I have read several threads here and am definitely considering it after getting information from them. I do have a few questions that I didn't find answers to in the past posts. Was hoping I could get some answers from others that have one.

I am very active, and am concerned about transferring, and bending over in the chair. I live alone so my daily activities include cleaning, laundry, and of course playing guitar. Does constant movement in a manual chair create problems?[Quote]

I am a C4 quadriplegic in my opinion that should not create any problems

My second concern is the fact that I have allot of hair on my stomach. Will this cause issues with sealing a bag and will shaving around the site create problems with skin irritation.
    You will have to shave for a little while, but it will soon lose all the hair because of this stickiness From the ostomy bag

[Quote]At night does the bag allow you to roll in bed? I turn my self during the night when I do my IC[Quote]

you'll have to check it before you lay on your stomach, but it does not hinder turning

Finaly are there any activities that simply can't be done with a colostomy such as swimming?
    there's nothing that you can't do with a colostomy
    C4 incomplete since 1985

[QUOTE=crppled007;1797875][QUOTE=M Nedela;1797857]I'm a t3 12 years post injury. My doctors are really trying to steer me into a colostomy.

I am very active, and am concerned about transferring, and bending over in the chair. I live alone so my daily activities include cleaning, laundry, and of course playing guitar. Does constant movement in a manual chair create problems?[Quote]

I am a C4 quadriplegic in my opinion that should not create any problems

You will have to shave for a little while, but it will soon lose all the hair because of this stickiness From the ostomy bag

[Quote]At night does the bag allow you to roll in bed? I turn my self during the night when I do my IC

you'll have to check it before you lay on your stomach, but it does not hinder turning

there's nothing that you can't do with a colostomy
    I'm a c3c4 quad. I've had my colostomy for 2 years. I agree with everything that was said up above. There are a lot of able bodied people with colostomies and they do anything and everything. The guy who introduced me to the colostomy was able bodied and he did lawn service work. He had no problems with his even in 90 degree weather while sweating up a storm.

My colostomy works great.
    The problem is: ~2 years post surgery, I started having a lot of discharge from the unused "rectal stump" end. I have followed with two gastroenterologists and stuffed a couple thousand dollars worth of off-formulary drugs up my sorry ass with no end in sight. The last ~6 months have been spent diapered by day and on a chux at night with my poor wife doing cleanup in the morning and diaper installation.
    The last course called for 30 days of little medical enemas daily; the discharge continues to be brown (blood). I'm told I have colitis which was observed when I got my upper/lower colonoscopy.
    This is just one of several medical issues that are driving me crazy.
    Signed, Just about used up

Blog Entries
    Damn pfcs49 you are having a hard time, is the advice that the discharge is due to the colitis as I have not heard anyone else raise this issue on the forum ??

I recently met with a surgeon after making the decision.(I.would be doing it next month had a pressure sore not have happened. She highly recommended sewing up the unused end due to bowel discharge. Is this not still an option for you? Then again,what you're describing sounds like way more than I was imagining! My question now that I think of it is does this mucous just sit there and then absorb back into your body?

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    My colostomy works great.
    The problem is: ~2 years post surgery, I started having a lot of discharge from the unused "rectal stump" end. I have followed with two gastroenterologists and stuffed a couple thousand dollars worth of off-formulary drugs up my sorry ass with no end in sight. The last ~6 months have been spent diapered by day and on a chux at night with my poor wife doing cleanup in the morning and diaper installation.
    The last course called for 30 days of little medical enemas daily; the discharge continues to be brown (blood). I'm told I have colitis which was observed when I got my upper/lower colonoscopy.
    This is just one of several medical issues that are driving me crazy.
    Signed, Just about used up
    This last round of treatment did no good. The GI doc tells me to go to a colo-rectal surgeon and get my lower colon and rectum removed.
    The last year has been dominated by this and trying to save my right foot from ulcers. Latest gambit: 2 months of hyperbaric oxygen.
    My life has become unmanageable, my body is in a tug of war with my business (www.philscars.com). I will close after 45 years on June 30th. The way forward is uncertain and scary.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    This last round of treatment did no good. The GI doc tells me to go to a colo-rectal surgeon and get my lower colon and rectum removed.
    The last year has been dominated by this and trying to save my right foot from ulcers. Latest gambit: 2 months of hyperbaric oxygen.
    My life has become unmanageable, my body is in a tug of war with my business (www.philscars.com). I will close after 45 years on June 30th. The way forward is uncertain and scary.
    I don't know if this can help but. I rarely get discharge. Except when I take any kind of pain medication. Are you on pain medication?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    I don't know if this can help but. I rarely get discharge. Except when I take any kind of pain medication. Are you on pain medication?

No pain meds. The discharge is ruddy brown=blood
    Until this crap started, I had manageable amounts of mucous-like discharge that were occasional and frustrating.
    What is coming out now is unmanageable and totally unacceptable!

Nurse please:
    read some on various tissue damage i.e. Heart, lung, intestine.. was trying to form conclusion maybe you know.
    Closest comparison I can surmise although broadly different tissue, the heart undergone an attack heals through scarring..the intestine suffers inflammation (various disorders) & heals through enzymes. Point being it heals from damage.
    Or different. Can intestine (colon) suffer inflammation issues from say blockages & be permanently damaged but be in safe zone per say?
    I have No symptoms of major disorders related here, but can feel something awry in descending part, such as twitching & well discomfort??
    I go regularly & am all cleared out to rule out any waste matter being there..
    Or can prescription drugs do damage here? Long term.
    I take baclofen,tramadol,tizanadine,colace, pro-biotics., papaya food enzymes, Enulose..
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..