Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy questions

Colostomy questions

I'm a t3 12 years post injury. My doctors are really trying to steer me into a colostomy.

I have read several threads here and am definitely considering it after getting information from them. I do have a few questions that I didn't find answers to in the past posts. Was hoping I could get some answers from others that have one.

I am very active, and am concerned about transferring, and bending over in the chair. I live alone so my daily activities include cleaning, laundry, and of course playing guitar. Does constant movement in a manual chair create problems?

My second concern is the fact that I have allot of hair on my stomach. Will this cause issues with sealing a bag and will shaving around the site create problems with skin irritation.

At night does the bag allow you to roll in bed? I turn my self during the night when I do my IC

Finaly are there any activities that simply can't be done with a colostomy such as swimming?

[QUOTE=M Nedela;1797857]I'm a t3 12 years post injury. My doctors are really trying to steer me into a colostomy.

I have read several threads here and am definitely considering it after getting information from them. I do have a few questions that I didn't find answers to in the past posts. Was hoping I could get some answers from others that have one.

I am very active, and am concerned about transferring, and bending over in the chair. I live alone so my daily activities include cleaning, laundry, and of course playing guitar. Does constant movement in a manual chair create problems?[Quote]

I am a C4 quadriplegic in my opinion that should not create any problems

My second concern is the fact that I have allot of hair on my stomach. Will this cause issues with sealing a bag and will shaving around the site create problems with skin irritation.
    You will have to shave for a little while, but it will soon lose all the hair because of this stickiness From the ostomy bag

[Quote]At night does the bag allow you to roll in bed? I turn my self during the night when I do my IC[Quote]

you'll have to check it before you lay on your stomach, but it does not hinder turning

Finaly are there any activities that simply can't be done with a colostomy such as swimming?
    there's nothing that you can't do with a colostomy
    C4 incomplete since 1985

My colostomy works great.
    The problem is: ~2 years post surgery, I started having a lot of discharge from the unused "rectal stump" end. I have followed with two gastroenterologists and stuffed a couple thousand dollars worth of off-formulary drugs up my sorry ass with no end in sight. The last ~6 months have been spent diapered by day and on a chux at night with my poor wife doing cleanup in the morning and diaper installation.
    The last course called for 30 days of little medical enemas daily; the discharge continues to be brown (blood). I'm told I have colitis which was observed when I got my upper/lower colonoscopy.
    This is just one of several medical issues that are driving me crazy.
    Signed, Just about used up

Blog Entries
    Damn pfcs49 you are having a hard time, is the advice that the discharge is due to the colitis as I have not heard anyone else raise this issue on the forum ??

Pfcs I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. Im trying adjusting my diet to avoid getting the colostomy. The changes are causing either constipation or the runs. Cleaning up crap really sucks when you have to do it on your own. My quest for the perfect BM continues. I'm glad that I'm able to do things on my own, even though things can get out of crontrol at times. Every once in awhile when I get overwhelmed I need to remind my self that I'm still alive, give myself a pep talk and drive on. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your experience, I really hope that you can get things working again.

[QUOTE=crppled007;1797875][QUOTE=M Nedela;1797857]I'm a t3 12 years post injury. My doctors are really trying to steer me into a colostomy.

I am very active, and am concerned about transferring, and bending over in the chair. I live alone so my daily activities include cleaning, laundry, and of course playing guitar. Does constant movement in a manual chair create problems?[Quote]

I am a C4 quadriplegic in my opinion that should not create any problems

You will have to shave for a little while, but it will soon lose all the hair because of this stickiness From the ostomy bag

[Quote]At night does the bag allow you to roll in bed? I turn my self during the night when I do my IC

you'll have to check it before you lay on your stomach, but it does not hinder turning

there's nothing that you can't do with a colostomy
    I'm a c3c4 quad. I've had my colostomy for 2 years. I agree with everything that was said up above. There are a lot of able bodied people with colostomies and they do anything and everything. The guy who introduced me to the colostomy was able bodied and he did lawn service work. He had no problems with his even in 90 degree weather while sweating up a storm.

Colitis is in all likelihood not related to the colostomy. Unfortunately, it occurs in both able bodied and SCI'd people. Having had a colostomy myself, I can tell you that there was NOTHING I did not do when I had it, including swimming. (Mine was reversed and was for other problems than SCI.)

Remember nothing is perfect and it will take a little while for you to work out the kinks in this. But, almost everything I have read or heard from people is positive.

Good luck in your decision - it is one that only you can make.

ckf

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to keep trying changing my diet along with a few other things before I commit to having the colostomy done. Eating better certainly won't be a bad thing. I spoke with my VA clinic today about talking with the ostomy nurse and getting more information.

Good way to go. Also, remember to ask if the procedure you may have is able to be reversed. That also gives you the option of going back to what you are currently doing if you find that the colostomy is not for you.
    ckf

My doctor has an interesting idea she is going to look into for the constipation issues I'm having. Have you heard of or familiar with the MACE procedure being performed on SCI? I sent a message to the VA doc I see for my annual physical to get her thoughts on it as well as other things we could do before going the colostomy route.

If I can't regulate the changes in diet I'm trying to make, the procedure looks like it would possibly be a good temporary thing allowing me to regulate things better with out becoming constipated. A conventional enema won't work for me because all bowle activities are done on the toilet not in bed. Unfortunately I live alone and would not want to deal with the clean up because of both laziness and the need to sanitize my chair, bathroom, and everything between ground zero and my washing machine.

I would appreciate your thoughts about the MACE procedure as a possible option if other things do not work out. I had thought my only option was a colostomy at this point. I did get the opportunity to talk to the Ostomy nurse,but I'm great full I rolled out with other options we can try first. I also consider myself very fortunate for my VA docs and the care I recive, there is no way in hell I would have made it my twelve years on Medicaid. I would have been dead long ago.
    Last edited by M Nedela; 04-28-2016 at 07:05 AM.