Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy questions

And yes I asked a bout reversal of the colostomy. Another benefit of going the temp route would be giving everything below the stoma site a break. I have HEMROIDS as well as a sphincter muscle that's so tight I could open a beer bottle with it.

One of the other options discussed was surgery to loosen it up a bit. The temporary colostomy would definitely be the way to go if I decide to try the sphincter surgery. Screwing that up would definitely make a colostomy permanent, I would think.

It's good to have so many options, and the input from 3 doc dedicated to SCI. Medicade probably would have had me in a broke down chair with a bag years ago, months before certain death.
    Last edited by M Nedela; 04-28-2016 at 07:07 AM.

C-5/6 12 years. What's the procedure, I have all the appointed faculty, & average time frame to get 1 all done?
    Is it Primary Physician referral, then GI visit, then hospital/ surgery scheduling..??
    Then do you have to do the clean out Epsom salt drink be4 hand???
    Last edited by Stormycoon; 05-26-2016 at 04:48 PM.
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

Quote Originally Posted by Stormycoon View Post
    Is it Primary Physician referral, then GI visit, then hospital/ surgery scheduling..??
    Yes, your primary physician would need to refer you to a colorectal or general surgeon, and then most likely your insurance would have to give a prior authorization for the surgery (since it is elective). The surgeon may want to do some more tests before committing to doing an elective colostomy. You would also need to be seen BEFORE the surgery by a CWOCN or other enterostomal therapy nurse to both mark your surgical site (do this while sitting in your wheelchair) and talk with you and teach you about post-operative ostomy care, appliance selection and changing, etc. etc. We also include our OT at this phase as they may need to work with the CWOCN in things like appliance application and emptying tricks due to your limited hand function.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormycoon View Post
    Then do you have to do the clean out Epsom salt drink be4 hand???
    Yes, you will need to be a bowel clean out or prep, with whatever prep regimen is prescribed by the surgeon.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    SCI - Nurse, on another thread you confirmed that both d - mannose & Cranberry can lead to loose bowels, I would have thought that this issue may well effect those with colostomy ??

Quote Originally Posted by gommer View Post
    SCI - Nurse, on another thread you confirmed that both d - mannose & Cranberry can lead to loose bowels, I would have thought that this issue may well effect those with colostomy ??
    They do not effect everyone this way, but not sure what you are getting at related to colostomy? The same laxatives, stool softeners, etc. are used for those with colostomies if needed as for those without.

(KLD)

I recently met with a surgeon after making the decision.(I.would be doing it next month had a pressure sore not have happened. She highly recommended sewing up the unused end due to bowel discharge. Is this not still an option for you? Then again,what you're describing sounds like way more than I was imagining! My question now that I think of it is does this mucous just sit there and then absorb back into your body?

Blog Entries
    I was given to understand that post colostomy that laxatives etc would only have to be used infrequently given that the exit point was higher up, that much of the problem with evacuation as relates to SCI is due to lower bowel stretching over time as well as general slow down of system as we age ??

Although less likely with a colostomy, both constipation and diarrhea can still occur. A lot depends on in what level of the colon the colostomy was performed. Stool in the ascending and transverse colostomy is going to be much more liquid than in the descending or sigmoid colon. Diet also plays a role, and you may find that certain foods you ate before can effect stool consistency more than they did when you were AB.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    Yes the question I had about cranberry and loose bowels was that if it has this issue before colostomy then it will have the same issue post operation. I myself will get the sigmoid but will have to watch the stuff I take to prevent UTI and it's effect on stool consistancy.

I'm aspiring to be like Scott P who used to post here. He dealt with it - ten minutes or so - rinsed it out - taped up the stoma and went about his day.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12