Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damage from use of senna?

Blog Entries

Damage from use of senna?

I had a problem with taking some Normacol Plus and forgot to drink my water (though had a big glass of prune juice) Had rather violent cramps as a result, is it possible that I could have done damage to my intestine nerves ?? I use senna and still seems to bring it down as had good BM this morning after MB suppository,but weird thing is do not seem to be passing the usual gas and I have a high fiber diet. The drama happened Thursday night and things have been a bit off since.

Quote Originally Posted by gommer View Post
    Had rather violent cramps as a result, is it possible that I could have done damage to my intestine nerves ?? I use senna and still seems to bring it down as had good BM this morning after MB suppository,but weird thing is do not seem to be passing the usual gas and I have a high fiber diet. The drama happened Thursday night and things have been a bit off since.
    Extremely unlikely you have done any permanent damage. You may have less gas if severely constipated/obstipated.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    Thanks SCI Nurse, I tend to worry and was thinking all sorts of horrible thoughts, like if my bowel died would have to get an illiostomy. The thing is I am usually able to push with my tummy if felt a bit bloated and in the main got some gas, but since the incident, nothing
    Was trying to think this through, the prune juice is just high in fiber as is the Movicol bulking agent (which they warn can cause blockages if one does not drink enough water) the active ingredient is just like senna
    Have to say I never had the cramping I had that night before and it felt like my insides were scalded

Was at the hospital 3 weeks ago with gas pain in bowel, xray showed no blockage, just a bit backed up, sent me home with lax sachet

It has often been related here that long-term use of Senna is not advised, if at all possible. Can be to megacolon (lazy colon) and the loss of whatever peristaltic activity you may have.

Try to work with dietary solutions as much as possible. After many, many years I stopped Senna about two weeks ago and so far no major issues. One less thing to take, one potential complication minimized.

Blog Entries
    I am surprised you are able to stop just like that dude

Blog Entries
    I was at the hospital today and yes it appears the lack of water taking the Normacol Plus last week has caused an impaction. The xray showed a mass on the upper right side then gas then not to much in lower bowel, I was told to take two Movicol tonight along with my senna and 3 tomorrow and so on if things have not moved, but came into hospital if I was feeling unwell. I thought it strange that the impaction was on the right when most are in the lower bowel I thought.

Yes, most often impactions are in the descending or sigmoid colon, but it is possible for it to occur in the ascending or transverse colon. Are you passing any gas? Nausea or vomiting? Is your abdomen severely distended? Did they see anything else on the Xray that could suggest another obstruction cause other than just stool??

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    I was passing gas earlier & my abdomen is not severely distended thanks SCI Nurse, although the right side of my tummy is starting to feel a bit bloated & sore, no Nausea & Vomiting. Nothing else on xray but as i said this has I think been caused by the bulking agent in Normacol Plus (sterculia) & me not drinking enough water before bed after taking 2 teaspoons. They warn on the packet but I just was not thinking and forgot. So it bulked and did not stay moist but created a hard lump and everything backed up behind it. I only hope that the stuff dissolves with water etc otherwise I am in big trouble . The doc said that the Movicol should move things but if it doesn't then we go to oral Dulcolax, then I guess it's surgery if things do not improve, I am shitting myself because it is the ascending colon that is impacted, damn I would hate some sort of high ostomy.

Well the Movicol seems to have moved things along but I am still concerned that I had an impaction in the ascending colon in the first place given that things are pretty soft at that stage. I hope that the event 10 days ago taking Normacol plus & not enough water had not done some weird shit to my bowel at that point because the spasm that night was quite violent and really threw everything for a loop since then. I am going to slowly drop the Movicol dose and see how I go, not sure if the Normacol incident could cause a weakening or damage, but if not it sure has buggered up my bowel rhythm

One thing I have noticed since "the incident" was that my production of gas seems to have fallen heaps, only passed gas twice today that I took note of and usually for me it is a lot more, know the bowel must have been stressed as two days after I made my mistake I had this horrendous outpouring of gas which seemed to go on forever and ever since then hardly any gas is being produced my my stomach and I do not hear/feel the usual burbling noises after eating. I have good fiber diet & take Pro biotics
    Last edited by gommer; 11-06-2016 at 12:28 AM.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon

Melanosis coli

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanosis_coli

Herbal anthraquinone laxatives such as cascara and senna may cause cell death and melanosis coli.

If an irritant one is required bisacodyl may be better for long-term use. Bisacodyl also works better with LMN bowel as it triggers segmental and local axon reflexes.

Osmotic ones could be tried first. Macrogol 3350 or Magnesium Sulphate?

Dosage on label http://www.trustgoldcross.com.au/pro...t-line?id=1177

Usually once you get the impaction cleared out, and if this is not a common problem for you, you should be ok. You need to watch your fiber and fluid intake, stay active and manage your diet. Sometimes it helps to write things down - like remember to drink plenty of water just as a reminder. I love those little yellow post-its! Just a thought until you get back into a routine.
    ckf