Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost a Fulbright scholar. Terrified about how to get care.

Thanks everyone for your replies!!

@Jim, I just sent you an email.

@Domosoyo, thanks! Still haven't chosen a university. I will take my catheters from Argentina, as well as some other disposable things. The rest I will need to pay for it or find funding.

@KLD

• CA is my #1 choice but I still have time to consider other options.
    • I don't think I would need note takers, but now that you say it... makes me think about it
    • Field of study is Ms in Transportation and/or Urban Planning.
    • I will have no preference as to where to stay. I guess anywhere close to where the classes are taken.
    • I got my final Fulbright interview next week so I want to know in advance an approximate monthly amount I would have to pay for assistance. My plan is to request that amount to the commission.
    • Would a PCA be able to help with Enemeez and digital stimulation?

A PCA can do pretty much anything you train and hire them to do. You should anticipate having to teach them though.

Dorm living will be more expensive, and there will be a limited number of wheelchair accessible units in most dorms. The plus is you are right on campus. Downside is restrictions of dorm living, perhaps having to have a roommate(s) and dorm food. An on-campus apartment will also be more expensive usually than one off-campus, but you would have your own cooking facilities and usually do not have access to dorm food. Off campus is the most flexible, but you would need the time to find a place and make sure it is really accessible, and those closest to campus are often more expensive. Is housing including in the scholarship? In CA, it is difficult or impossible to find even a 1 bedroom apartment or studio for less than $1500/month. You may find other areas of the country where housing is significantly cheaper.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    A PCA can do pretty much anything you train and hire them to do. You should anticipate having to teach them though.
    I thought only RVN or RN could legally do digital stimulation.

Quote Originally Posted by C5C6 View Post
    I thought only RVN or RN could legally do digital stimulation.
    That is true (in most states),if you hire through a home health agency (HHA) or if done in a hospital, but it is not the case when hiring, on your own, a layperson who you train as your PCA.

(also it would be an LVN or LPN in the USA, not a RVN. LVNs/LPNs are not registered, they are licensed.)

(KLD)

OK guys so I'm now officially a Fulbright scholar!! I'm so happy I'll fulfill my dream of studying in the US!!

I'm emailing a student in CA and he said a PCA hired on my own would cost me around 14 USD / hour , that would sum up around 1500 USD per month. I'm now thinking maybe I should bring a PCA from Argentina and pay him those 1500 USD. What do you think?

C5C6_ congratulations. To bring an employee with you you would need a special visa enabling him or her to work in this country. As you know getting visas is not easy. The rule states this visa can be had only when the skills you need are not available for hire easily in the USA. You might be able to make a case that you need care without interruption as well as during travel, and that training your carer takes some time which you will not have as you begin your studies.

I've a friend who was able to get her daughters nannie a visa when she moved back to California from El Salvador, with the justification that the woman had been with the child since she was adopted 2.5 years previously, the child had asthma, and it could be difficult for a young adopted child to adjust to a new person. My friend is a US citizen, so that may have made it easier. It is not necessarily so difficult, but you should begin immediately.

This is a place to start:
    https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...igrant-workers

Thanks Tetracyclone! I've been thinking and I really think I won't bring a caregiver with me because I don't want a person 24/7 breathing on my back, I think it would not be good at all.

That's why I'm almost sure I'll be hiring the services from an agency. With only a couple of hours per day I think I should be good to go. What do you think?

Plan on paying at least $35/hour from an agency, depending upon where you will be living. I still think hiring privately (not through an agency) would be best.

Have you decided on the school yet?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Plan on paying at least $35/hour from an agency, depending upon where you will be living. I still think hiring privately (not through an agency) would be best.

Have you decided on the school yet?

(KLD)
    I'll be applying to several universities in the next months. I'm currently considering schools in CA, MA, FL, NY and NJ. Will get an answer from them in early 2017 so there's a long way to go yet.

I would definitely be eager to hire privately. My only limitation is that I would need an invoice from them to get a reinbursement back at home. Based on your experience, should I expect non-agency caregivers to be able to provide invoices? Maybe this sounds silly but in my country is a normal practise.

Thanks!

Who would be paying for the attendant care? Most people who private hire in the USA have no one else paying for their PCA care, so getting an invoice is not common, but you can certainly hire a book keeper to keep track of your PCAs hours (and any deductions for taxes, Social Security, etc.) that you would have as an employer.

(KLD)