Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suicide rear door on camry makes life much easier.

Great post, and I look forward to your video. I bought a Honda Element for exactly this benefit, as I could not lift my chair over me. Unfortunately, the last Elements were made in 2011.

Wow, that is really slick! How about some pics of the (new) hinge area? Definitely a bonus with a 4 door with having the door like that. I swap between a 2 door and 4 door and it is amazing how much I hate the 4 door, lol. Something like that would dial back the annoyance with loading a frame in the 4 door for sure.

Mobility dealers...IMO the Jiffy Lube of mechanics

Speaking of rotary engines, back in my teens I ran with a street racing crowd. I guy I knew had an RX3 with a modded engine in it. It was amazingly quick. Disconnect exhaust from header, re-adjust the timing, proceed to make 454 Chevelles look silly. That thing was a total sleeper as a primer colored box with a rabid 2 stroke sounding motor that was ridiculously fast.

Videos m pics soon.... been busy. This weekend most likely

Videos and pics coming soon I promise. It's been a hectic week. WaveWolf... Yea, I looked at a couple of Elemenets and still thinking about replacing my fiances aging Jeep cherokee laredo with one. It just seemed like a big gap between the seat and frame of the car, and also a bit high. Do you find it difficult to transfer into and what is your injury level. I was thinking of buying one and putting coil overs on it and small wheels/tires to make it easy to transfer into. Yea Andy "mobility dealers" do seem like complete idiots a lot of the time. you would think that they could at least get the measurements of a manual chair right. Seeing as thats what mine does mostly. but nope!
    And Ah yes. The famous RX3... sleeper of all sleepers, even till this day, and yes, easy to modify for lots more power. Now you have the RX8 to get 10 hp you have to spend a couple grand! SAD! DO NOT BUY AN RX8, lol...... unless it has the LS1 swap in it. That makes it a true sleeper again, because the secret is out that they are slow and half of them have low compression. But with that LS1 swap you can blow the doors off a lot of cars! I will buy one of those again... one day... when I can get one super cheap.
    Has it been five years yet? ..........

found some pics on my phone of the hinge/actuator setup

OK... found some pics on my phone... will take more and a video this weekend. The silver button on the dash is what i press to have the actuator open and close the door as well as pop the lock at the same time. The hinge/actuator pictures speak for themselves, I hope. The last one is my chair in the back seat. I use a bungee cord to secure it.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Yes, I will post a video this weekend, I promise, but I promise that it makes life so much easier, for a four door. I am literally gone in 60 seconds.

That's not a bad cost for the modification. I think I'll check around the area for someone that can do the work. To me it seems like it would better than whats on the market.

Great Mod. I just copied this thread onto the Equipment forum and if it's ok with the life mods we will leave it in both places life and equipment. I really like the idea, and you got a great deal in having it done and it really surprises me that you live in Florida, at least the part of Florida where I live most mechanics are pretty helpless. I'm currently selling my 1968 big block Pontiac Lemans because nobody can work on the car at least in the part of Florida where I'm located, I'm guessing your in the Panhandle, there are much better mechanics there as the shops in other parts are only use to doing the simple stuff and charging big bucks. I can imagine there would be lot of shops that would turn away the job as they would be afraid they could not handle it and would rather make the easy money on simple stuff. It's good to see a job like that get done in this day and age though as thats something like you'd see done in yesteryear, most people these days are not very innovative, just the way things are in these times in which we live. I guess probably some of it is liability too, the fear if the car was crashed and the changed around door caused a injury they'd be sued, sad times we live in. Anyhow, Congrats.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Very interesting. Looks like an easily obtainable linear motor, but the single-point hinge has me guessing.
    I'd like to see or know how the mountings are executed as well as the hinge itself.
    I wouldn't have expected the whole door to be expressed onto such a small area without problems with keeping alignment or flexing.

There must be another hinge down on the lower part of the door that is not shown in the phono? If it's just that top hinge like shown in the photo then, yes, it will be problems in the future, hopefully that is not the case.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

That's a fairly beefy chunk of steel being used in combination of what might be a rather light door. If I had to guess they probably welded to the door crash bar and then put some attachments/reinforcements to the wheel housing. Might be plenty strong