Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10th Patient implated at Louisville epi-stim-study

10th Patient implated at Louisville epi-stim-study

https://www.christopherreeve.org/blo...epi-stim-study

While the first four individuals implanted with epidural stimulators continue to publicly demonstrate their recovery of function, the team at the University of Louisville has pressed on. Six more subjects, all men, have been implanted in recent months. Two more, both women, will be recruited soon.

According to principal investigator Susan Harkema, two projects are ongoing. ?The original study, launched with Rob Summers in 2009, now has enrolled seven of a total eight subjects. In a second study looking primarily at cardiovascular response, we have implanted three of four participants.?

The cardio study has recruited subjects with cervical injuries, said Harkema, and thus with low blood pressure and impaired respiratory function. ?We are hoping to show that we can normalize blood pressure with stimulation alone. We also want to know if there are specific stimulation parameters for each behavior, or physiological response.?

Harkema says several papers are ?in the hopper? but results are not yet published. ?We can?t put results out before we are published in the literature,? she said, ?but we are very optimistic. The results appear to be very consistent with what we have seen in the first four individuals who were implanted.?

Results for those men, which inspired the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation to conceptualize The Big Idea study, showed recovery of voluntary movement and standing when stimulation is on, plus significant residual benefits to autonomic functions, including improved bowel, bladder and sexual function.

The Big Idea will enroll 36 more people into the epidural stimulation study with the goal of starting enrollment later this year.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

It’s about time, I had mine at UCSD by Dr. Justin Brown, and so far I am doing real good. Everything that could go wrong went wrong on my second trip out to the west coast, UTI, low blood pressure, and you name it I did it, even an allergic reaction to the damn antibiotic which still has a grip on me. All in all, it’s been worth it and I can walk to the end of my road and back with no stopping and check all the summer houses as I used to do 12 years ago. I’ve got some changes I want to try and hope to head out to the west coast in late June or July. I feel honored to be able to try this and have it work for me.

I wonder if you have before/after video?

No, I don’t. Should have, I’m getting a lot of my strength back, and move better than I did and don’t tire as I used too. I’ve just been too busy mending fences since I returned, I pick up my left leg rather than drag it and it’s not as tiring to walk as it was. I live my life in a rush and it’s my own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by alhavel View Post
    No, I don’t. Should have, I’m getting a lot of my strength back, and move better than I did and don’t tire as I used too. I’ve just been too busy mending fences since I returned, I pick up my left leg rather than drag it and it’s not as tiring to walk as it was. I live my life in a rush and it’s my own fault.
    I got to ask were u walking or in a chair and what level thrilled for u

Is Dr. Harkema still working together with Dr. Edgerton on epidural simulation? Or are they doing their own things? In one of the threads, someone has said that Dr. Edgerton had 25 patients with various epidural simulation. If anybody know, thanks.

Edgerton is the brains ... Harkema is running the lab in St Louis where the clinical trial is taking place under Reeve Foundation (Correction Louisville - thanks NRF))
    Last edited by lynnifer; 04-24-2016 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks lynnifer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Edgerton is the brains ... Harkema is running the lab in St Louis where the clinical trial is taking place under Reeve Foundation
    When did Harkema move from Louisville to St.Louis? Does Edgerton really have Harkema do all of the lab work so far away from Los Angeles?