Thread: Going back to IC from Foley

Going back to IC from Foley

How long does it take to go back the same bladder capacity as you had before foley
    I have always had a SUPER spastic bladder. I used to wake up every 3 hours for catheter. When I got pregnant it got worse so I switched to Foley. I did urodynamic yesterday and I leaked within 10 ml of water insert.. Will my capacity goes back to the way it was after I get rid of Foley? I will have Botox injections in August too
    Last edited by minniemouse12; 04-22-2016 at 02:38 PM.

Depends how long you had foley and if bladder developed collagen around and a thickened wall. That is why the low dose anticholinergic . May need Botox. cWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Depends how long you had foley and if bladder developed collagen around and a thickened wall. That is why the low dose anticholinergic . May need Botox. cWO
    I know KLD has mentioned "that is why the low dose of anticholinergic" too. But, I don't understand how the anticholinergic works in this regard. Could you elaborate or point me to some studies or literature about this?

What is a "low dose?"

I've been searching for any literature on this subject of using a low dose anticholinergic. So far the only thing I have found is this abstract printed on PupMed.gov, US National Library of Medicine, National Instutes of Health.
    Please see the Conclusions section:

World J Urol. 2010 Oct;28(5):637-41. doi: 10.1007/s00345-009-0501-2. Epub 2010 Jan 5.

To clamp or not to clamp? Bladder management by suprapubic catheterization in patients with neurogenic bladder dysfunction.

Pannek J1, G?cking K, Bersch U.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

In a small subset of patients with neurogenic lower urinary tract dysfunction, insertion of suprapubic catheters (SPC) cannot be avoided. If SPC has to be utilized, catheter clamping and anticholinergic medication are often recommended, but evidence supporting this view is scarce. We determined the influence of anticholinergic medication and catheter clamping on urodynamic parameters and the status of the urinary tract in patients with chronic suprapubic catheterization.

METHODS:

In a retrospective study, the results of urodynamic testing, sonographic evaluations, and urinalyses of 85 patients with chronic (>1 year) suprapubic catheterization due to neurogenic bladder dysfunction were analyzed.

RESULTS:

The 51 male and 34 female patients (mean age 55 years) were managed with an SPC for 65.3 ? 48.0 months. Forty patients had an SPC for more than 60 months. Comparing the results before SPC insertion with the last follow-up examination, no significant differences in detrusor compliance and maximum detrusor pressure were detected, whereas bladder capacity significantly decreased. In three patients, alterations of the upper urinary tract were found. The results were not significantly different between the patients using anticholinergic medication and/or catheter clamping and those who did not.

CONCLUSIONS:

According to our study, routine use of anticholinergic medication and clamping of catheter does not seem to be necessary to preserve detrusor compliance and renal function in patients with SPC and neurogenic bladder dysfunction.

PMID:20049456 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    __________________________________________________ ______________________

In light of concerns about the use of long term anticholinergics and increased risk of dementia, I would like to understand all of this much better.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 04-23-2016 at 02:02 PM.

For 1.5 year. I just had a cycto and my urologist said Im a good candidate for Botox. Im VERY nervous that Foley affected my capacity permenantly. Is it possible?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I dont have superpubic . I used to do in/out for the last 12 years. Switched to Foley in late 2014

Although the spinal cord medical providers would definitely prefer that you use IC, there are people who have had a foley for reasons such as yours that do go back to it after several years. It may take a little while to get back to your previous capacity, but as long as there isn't too much scarring, you should be able to get there, or close to it. Botox will help with this.
    CKF