6 33.33%
  • I get poorer care than an able bodied person

5 27.78%
  • Poor accessibility

3 16.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Accessible medical facilities

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    get this, just spent 2 days in the hospital. every room had a overhed lift that covered entire 1 bed room. no nurse on the floor could even find a sling to use the dam thing. not until 2nd day did a nurse supervisor find the closet that was full of a variety of slings. needless to say we used our own...........
    I hope you filed a formal complaint after discharge. This is unacceptable, both for you and for how the nursing staff are supervised and trained.

(KLD)

Also disturbing, I find that doctors do not examine you properly when you are disabled and/or in a wheelchair... Even if the clinic rooms are semi-accessible. They just don't want to be bothered, or to take the time.

"No... don't bother getting up... I'll check you right there" while you are seated in a chair/wheelchair. So often that means they skip much of the examination, or do a poor quality one since many things shouldn't be checked in the seated position, with clothes on....

Take off compression stockings to check feet? Are you kidding me?

It is common that a nursing assistant sees you before the doctor does, to check vital signs. That nursing assistant, ideally, would help you get positioned, undressed etc.. as needed. Instead, after they leave, you often wait several minutes waiting for a doctor to come in. And then once the doctor arrives, they are so rushed, they don't want to take the time to wait for you to get ready to be examined. Such a waste. And worse care for you.

Disappointingly, I see this happen even with doctors who are specialized in spinal cord injury.

This is clearly an ADA regulation violation. If you do not receive the same examinations or treatment as an AB person in the same office or setting, due to your disability, they are subject to fines and other actions under the ADA. Please don't just accept this.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    All the doctors I use are tied into the same hospital system. In fact, that hospital used to be a model spinal cord injury center. So when I go and see my internist for regular check up, it's at a satellite office which has neither wheelchair height exam tables nor lifts. My dermatologist is available at a satellite office, but it is barely accessible for a wheelchair let alone being able to get onto a table. As a result, I saw her down at the main campus. There the outpatient building has only one lift available and it's quite a sizable building. Time and time again I arranged ahead of time to have the lift available, but magically it was not available when I got there. Neither the ER nor the satellite outpatient surgery center have lifts around. I've tried being nice about this, but it is just not working. I guess I wil have to turn up the pressure somehow because really it's not acceptable way for them to be doing business.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete
    I printed out some of the pages pertaining to patient lifts to take with me to the hospital when I get my scan. I will make copies so I have them for future doctors. I've decided to be my advocate, otherwise nothing will be done to accommodate me. Will keep ya posted.

Please keep us posted on how it goes. In the meantime, if you don't advocate for yourself, unfortunately, most of the time, no one else will.
    CKF

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete
    OHHHHH I am so mad right now - I just got off the phone to schedule my scan at the hospital and reiterated that I am in a wheel chair and do not transfer, and will require a lift to get me from my chair to the scan table. I was told that there is NO lift and that staff can simply "lift" me from my chair to the table. I stated that I knew there was a lift in the hospital as I have used it while in the ER on previous occasions. Was told the ER is not part of their department. I asked, "do you realize you are not ADA compliant if you don't have a lift, or safe way to transfer me?" Her reply was something to the effect, YOU are not the only person in a wheel chair, and we can safely transfer you utilizing staff....I said fine - we shall see - I am going to call the main hospital and see if I can speak to a patient advocate -

I guess I'm going to have to gather resources and document things in prep for filing a complaint...Wish me luck !

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Oh I thought this was only referring to general doctor, I find unless you go to hospital for everything you're pretty much screwed if you can't transfer yourself. For the private places I understand though, it's not very common. So I don't get mad about it, I just make sure to usehospital facilities. One thing that does bother me at the hospital is when they get visibly pissy about getting the lift,really bugs me, like I need to feel like more of a burden than I already do, just emphasizes pathetic which makes me very quiet and miserable... I've only ever said something once and it was just along the lines of trust me it's a whole hell of a lot worse for me, you think I want to get in the fing thing!
    You said it all. I'm not going back to my local hospital anymore for this reason. The last time I went from my recling chair to the bed. The bed was only an inch higher, my butt got stuck between the chair and bed. When I got into the bed the nurse said he could have done more to help. I'm a C-5. I'm going to a bigger city hospital next time.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

All of your complaints are quite simple to see resolved, a letter (Registered mail return receipt requested) to the ADA and the Local office of the Federal DOJ. List every occurrence of each time you feel you have been mishandled due to lack of proper equipment or your inability to access your care.

I personally have no complaints, I can pretty easily transfer. But the local Hospital and everyone concerned is more than helpful getting the things necessary to assist in my handling and care during my many stays there. And believe it or not promptly!

I do know some of the smaller local hospital facilities are struggling financially, and they are convenient for many folks. However, your complaints "should" really assist them in acquiring the necessary equipment to allow you access and safe transfer to be treated. Just try to be polite, it is quite obvious that some professional frustration might exist with some staff not being able to do their job properly.

This must be even worse in countries outside of North America. I've been wanting to do a treatment for my hair I contacted both clinics in Spain and Switzerland both Told me they couldn't accept disabled patients because their dermatology and surgery clinic wasn't accessible.another thing we miss out on and live without there are uncountable useful/ help things overseas that I imagine we can't get