• I get poorer care than an able bodied person

5 27.78%
  • Poor accessibility

3 16.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accessible medical facilities

Blog Entries

Accessible medical facilities

I just had an unsatisfactory checkup with my dermatologist. The lift which was supposed to be available wasn't. I have moles on my backside that didn't get checked. I'm wondering what others here experience when seeing doctors?
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete
    Sadly, I fine this more often then not. At least they were "supposed" to have had one. Most places that I have gone to feel that lifting me with a group of people is a "safe" way to do it. *I'm no light weight, so I don't feel safe* I've even had the situation where they had a lift, but upon time for me to return to my chair, the lift quit. One nurses aids fix for this was "just transfer using a sliding board, the transfer is going down hill". I refused due to the fact the down hill slope was about eight inches!!!! I am in the process of being scheduled for a thyrogen scan at the hospital. I asked the tech at the doctors office to make sure they know I'm in a chair and that I DO NOT transfer, and they need a lift. I got a call back from the tech who said the hospital said there would be no issue. I do know this particular hospital does have a lift that I have used in the past. Now to see if they actually put in the effort to find it.

Hope others have had better happenings.

They have a lift somewhere -And can put you on a stretcher? Or a portable lift .. They don't have to have one in that office. Call Pstient Advocate at that hospital. Cwo

Quote Originally Posted by TomRL View Post
    I just had an unsatisfactory checkup with my dermatologist. The lift which was supposed to be available wasn't. I have moles on my backside that didn't get checked. I'm wondering what others here experience when seeing doctors?
    Oh I thought this was only referring to general doctor, I find unless you go to hospital for everything you're pretty much screwed if you can't transfer yourself. For the private places I understand though, it's not very common. So I don't get mad about it, I just make sure to usehospital facilities. One thing that does bother me at the hospital is when they get visibly pissy about getting the lift,really bugs me, like I need to feel like more of a burden than I already do, just emphasizes pathetic which makes me very quiet and miserable... I've only ever said something once and it was just along the lines of trust me it's a whole hell of a lot worse for me, you think I want to get in the fing thing!
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 04-22-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete
    CWO - I do know the hospital has a portable lift, as I have had to use it during ER visits in the past. However, like James said they are rather "pissy" about getting it. They will insist that a group of people can "lift" me. Perhaps they can, but it is NOT a safe way to transfer.

The only way this is going to change is if people insist upon their right to be transferred in a safe way (manual lifting puts both you AND their staff at risk), and if you have attitude or other problems related to this, that you complain loud and long to Patient Advocates (in hospitals) or the physician and office manager in private offices, or even to your insurance company. I would also recommend that you become familiar with the ADA regulations related to access to health care, so you can quote them when needed, and that if the problem persists, that you advocate for both yourself and other PWD by filing a formal ADA complete with the DOJ.

Some resources:

http://www.ada.gov/medcare_mobility_ta/medcare_ta.htm

https://adata.org/factsheet/accessible-health-care

http://www.pacer.org/publications/adaqa/health.asp

http://www.disabilityrightsca.org/pubs/553101.pdf

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Treeza04 View Post
    CWO - I do know the hospital has a portable lift, as I have had to use it during ER visits in the past. However, like James said they are rather "pissy" about getting it. They will insist that a group of people can "lift" me. Perhaps they can, but it is NOT a safe way to transfer.
    I'm pretty light, if they can get at least one young guy, I'm perfectly fine with manual lifting, I actually prefer it; that's how I transfer at physiotherapy. I find being in the Hoyer lift degrading; not that getting fireman toss is much better. I never hospital staff give me T he alternative though.

Tons of research showing that health care personnel (male OR female) should NOT manually lift a patient weighing more than 35 lb. This is actually now a NIOSH and OSHA standard in the USA.

Health care staff (RNs, aides, and PTs) in the USA have for years been in the top 10 of on-the-job injuries; I have know many nurses in my career who had career-ending shoulder, neck and back injuries from moving patients. 10% of all nurses were being removed from the healthcare workforce annually due to these injuries.

Thank goodness where I work, and many other places in the USA have followed the lead of Europe (and Canada) in mandating Safe Patient Handling and Movement standards that prevent most of these injuries. To date, 10 states have passed legislation, and it is mandated for all VA hospitals and clinics. We use lifts and other devices now...and your caregivers at home should do the same, if you care about them.

(KLD)

I find parking is a problem if in a van I have had to take someome with me as parking was forget it at northside in Atlanta I had to leave I could not get in no parking

that's my issue dr office and 95 of hospitals

get this, just spent 2 days in the hospital. every room had a overhed lift that covered entire 1 bed room. no nurse on the floor could even find a sling to use the dam thing. not until 2nd day did a nurse supervisor find the closet that was full of a variety of slings. needless to say we used our own...........
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer