• Some problems, but okay

6 33.33%
  • I get poorer care than an able bodied person

5 27.78%
  • Poor accessibility

3 16.67%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Accessible medical facilities

All of your complaints are quite simple to see resolved, a letter (Registered mail return receipt requested) to the ADA
    Who are you mailing? There is no agency called the ADA. The ADA is a piece of legislation/law. Regulations related to the ADA are produced by the Access Board, but they have no enforcement arm or power. That belongs to (depending upon the part of the ADA & regs you are concerned with) the DOJ, DOT, or DOL.

(KLD)

KLD,

There is always an agency designated to assist Disabled people in every State The names of these all these agencies escape me at the minute, that is who I mean by ADA, or call and write a follow up to the State Attorney General, if it is handled as Registered mail it WILL get attention, maybe not quickly but attention all the same.

Also having been a Codes Enforcement Officer at one time, I do know not dealing with "written" complaints (paper trail) can make such an officer guilty of selective enforcement practices, and shirking his/her duty. This in most jurisdictions "if" prosecuted can lead to severe penalties, for the Codes Officer. Not a pleasant prospect. In my case a simple letter sent to the municipal office would suffice, as well as a phone call. But I did ask the complainant to write a letter of complaint. Why? It leaves a paper trail, It proves that I did receive a complaint, and was not persecuting someone who I might not particularly care for. Lastly that paper trail can be used in court when multiple complaints have been made, it indicates the severity of the complaint.

A code officer is not just there to harass people ! I approached this job trying to get voluntary compliance, by using persuasion first. But insistence on full compliance with all these Building Codes, all the same. Another such office that comes to mind is the Equal Opportunity Office, they have some compliance clout. They can initiate compliance through bureaucratic methods, not direct enforcement. These other Agencies can also assist you by directing you towards the correct enforcement officials.

So the term ADA may have many connotations and folks who may assist you, even the Fire Marshall's office, The Fire Dept itself, Building Dept. Public Safety Dept., in some jurisdictions there may even be an ADA compliance office. That is what I mean by ADA. The Federal office of compliance is directed towards Making States or municipalities comply with the Law, if they do not, then actions can be started against them, The city of Plymouth MA. comes to mind. The Feds made them make some of the public access areas available to HP people, they were ordered to comply under an Order of Consent. And they were fined quite a bit of money. They are quite severe when you tell them to shove it. They have NO sense of humor.

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete
    HAPPY TO REPORT.....I went to the hospital to get my dose of radio active iodine for my upcoming scan. While there the tech pointed out that the scan table had a solid base so the use of the patient lift would not be able to go under the table. I suggested they lift me onto a gurney then slide transfer me to the table. The tech looked at me quizzically, and said she would think about it, but to be prepared to be lifted by other employees. WELL today when I went to get my scan, she did indeed have the lift along with a gurney!!! I was so elated. Just wanted to give an update.

Thanks for the update. Now take the time to write a letter to the hospital director or patient advocate praising them for making this accommodation. That reinforces their need to have such procedures developed for use when needed, and gives an additional "atta boy" to the tech who did this.

(KLD)

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete
    Ahhh, definitely will do. Thanks for the suggestion.

Blog Entries
    Had another dermatologist appointment this week at Metrohealth's main campus outpatient building. I followed all the proper procedures to make sure the one and only lift would be available. Once again things didn't work. This time I was told the facility no, longer had a lift. What a come down for a place that used to be a model SCI treatment center. I usually find that being nice, but persistent works. Looks like it's time to become a thorn in someone's side.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Last edited by Cris; 09-26-2016 at 08:58 AM.