Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Padded shower bench recommendations?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Still using this.. the Vinyl drys out and splits over time, so just about pushed 4 years out of it.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...Aid-Bath-bench

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Still using this.. the Vinyl drys out and splits over time, so just about pushed 4 years out of it.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...Aid-Bath-bench
    Ah! Your posts was actually one of the ones I saw, but taking a look at the price list was kind of horrifying. But what you're saying is your $800+ shower chair only lasted about 4 years? Or is the only part that needs to be replaced right now the seat cushion? (Which is still a couple hundred yeah?)

See post #25 at http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...Aid-Bath-bench for my comments on the repair of closed foam ensolite cushions on shower/commode benches.

All the best,
    GJ

[/QUOTE]
    Oh this idea is BRILLIANT! I might just do this, and that way I can get a more durable bench. That said, how do you go about keeping the mat clean? I know they have some foam style mats for extra cushioning, but I imagine those are hard to clean?[/QUOTE]

I don't do anything to keep the mat clean. I have a shower chair and do my bowel program nightly, then shower a couple times a week after my program and it stays clean just fine from the showering. It really is a cheap and simple solution. I would try it first, and if it doesn't work then at most you've lost about $10. As a side note, I normally go for a black or grey yoga mat so it blends in a little better.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Everything is fine, the frame etc.. but the vinyl of the cushion dries out and splits.
    So yes you could just replace the seat cushion.... which is $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by faji_tama View Post
    Ah! Your posts was actually one of the ones I saw, but taking a look at the price list was kind of horrifying. But what you're saying is your $800+ shower chair only lasted about 4 years? Or is the only part that needs to be replaced right now the seat cushion? (Which is still a couple hundred yeah?)

The commode chair works best for me as I do my bowl program in the shower, but to answer your question no the opening is not to large. As i mentioned I have no idea why but I have not fallen transferring to this bench since I have owned it where before I would fall up to 6 times a year granted I transfer by myself without any assistance so falling is a hazard of the transfer. I will be reordering this chair before the end of summer. At $110.00 for two years I feel its a good buy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by faji_tama View Post
    I've actually been avoiding commode style shower seating for a while, but I guess it would make things easier to clean. The opening looks really wide on this though, have you not had any problems with it?

Ah I'll keep that in mind for traveling purposes, but for my home, I definitely want something padded because I don't have much cushioning down south!

Oh this idea is BRILLIANT! I might just do this, and that way I can get a more durable bench. That said, how do you go about keeping the mat clean? I know they have some foam style mats for extra cushioning, but I imagine those are hard to clean?

Is what you're doing then buying these and unscrewing the pads for use on your existing bench then?

So, I just put a new yoga mat cover on my shower chair and remembered to take a picture. It's pretty simple. I use three layers, but one is sufficient. The lowest layer does go under the seat on the ends. Then the seat is put in place and the thumb screws cinch it down. Any additional layers can be just placed on top or if you want you can use some duct tape, making a loop for double-sided stickiness, and place between layers. Go to a TJ Maxx, Marshall's, or Ross (where I get mine). They are $9.99 and one mat can last years of cutting new layers. As far as cleaning goes - - most yoga mats are anti-microbrial these days (for those people who have the ability to sweat... lucky ducks). So, I never clean them. I shower usually twice a week and the soap from that keeps it clean.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Look on jet.com for your padded shower bench. I just bought one