Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Padded shower bench recommendations?

Padded shower bench recommendations?

I know there've been a few posts on this before, but a lot of them are older, and some I couldn't actually find anymore. I picked up one of these Medline benches a couple years ago, but, like previous padded benches I've used, the waterproof exterior started coming part at the seams, so I'm looking for another replacement.

I'd like something that'll last longer this time around, and would still prefer something padded. Definitely needs to be a bench as well, ideally at least the same length at 32" long, but even longer would be better, as my shower is one of those tiled step-in showers with a partial freestanding glass wall that's easily about 6 to 7 feet across, making anything shorter than that dangerous to transfer onto.

Thanks!

I used to use this American Specialties folding shower seat 8205-L, http://www.americanspecialties.com/v...?productID=334 . I cannot use a shower seat any more though due to balance issues though. Anyway, the seat was sturdy and well-made. This might be too narrow for your needs, however.
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 04-20-2016 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    I used to use this American Specialties folding shower seat 8205-L, http://www.americanspecialties.com/v...?productID=334 . I cannot use a shower seat any more though due to balance issues though. Anyway, the seat was sturdy and well-made. This might be two narrow for your needs, however.
    Ah, sorry for not clarifying, but when I meant shower bench, I meant a freestanding one like the one I linked to, rather than something that needed to be mounted onto a wall.

I have only been able to get about a year out of most of the shower benches I have used but this one Drive 12005KDC-1 Combination Padded Transfer Bench and Commode has lasted almost two years now and is just starting to show the issues that you described. 99% of my failed transfers have been from my chair to a shower bench I don't know what it is about this bench but I have not had a bad transfer with this bench since I bought it and will be reordering it just for that reason alone. I purchased mine off of Ebay for around $100.00 last time and I see they have gone up to $110 now. Hope this helps

Nuprodx MC3200 shower chair with 12" extension gives you a 32" transfer bench. Pricey though.

I just buy a cheap yoga mat from Marshall's or TJ Maxx and cut them to shape over the shower seat/bench and it has worked for me for years. Replacing every year or so.

Since usually only one pad at a time needs to be replaced, it'd be great to be able to buy the pads separately, but I could never find them for a reasonable price (they tended to be about $40 each). So, instead I ended up buying this
    http://amazon.com/Invacare-Vinyl-Pad.../dp/B000N8S01A
    whose pads ended up being useful for my bench (although if it didn't, I would have just swapped). At the time I was able to get 2 benches (they packaged them to the dealers 2 to a box, so they preferred selling them in pairs, so they could just drop ship to my home) for $122 plus $22 in shipping. My intent was to just use the pads as spares. Two benches have 8 pads total.

Since then I have been replacing pads as they get heavily cracked. Only, they seem to be lasting a lot longer than my old bench pads. It has been 4 years and I still have 4 of the 8 pads remaining as spares. The vinyl on the new pads seem to be more flexible than the old pads, so I use them on the bottom which crack sooner, and used the old ones for the backrest and the transfer pad. It has worked pretty well.
    Last edited by Kulea; 04-20-2016 at 03:11 PM.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by nevada View Post
    I have used but this one Drive 12005KDC-1 Combination Padded Transfer Bench and Commode
    I've actually been avoiding commode style shower seating for a while, but I guess it would make things easier to clean. The opening looks really wide on this though, have you not had any problems with it?

Ah I'll keep that in mind for traveling purposes, but for my home, I definitely want something padded because I don't have much cushioning down south!

Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    I just buy a cheap yoga mat from Marshall's or TJ Maxx and cut them to shape over the shower seat/bench and it has worked for me for years. Replacing every year or so.
    Oh this idea is BRILLIANT! I might just do this, and that way I can get a more durable bench. That said, how do you go about keeping the mat clean? I know they have some foam style mats for extra cushioning, but I imagine those are hard to clean?

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    So, instead I ended up buying this http://amazon.com/Invacare-Vinyl-Pad.../dp/B000N8S01A whose pads ended up being useful for my bench (although if it didn't, I would have just swapped).
    Is what you're doing then buying these and unscrewing the pads for use on your existing bench then?

Quote Originally Posted by faji_tama View Post
    Is what you're doing then buying these and unscrewing the pads for use on your existing bench then?
    Yes, the pads actually have several screw hole locations (you have to feel through the vinyl to locate them), so they can be used with a number of different benches. I find the correct screw holes and then punch a hole through the vinyl at that spot, so I know where to screw into. Then, when a pad gets cracked beyond usefulness, I unscrew it and screw on the new one. It is pretty easy to swap the pads. Since the new benches have new screws, you can replace those also, if you like. Also, my backrest posts tend to break after a while. So, I ended up with 4 spare posts (I already used one of them).
    C-6/7 incomplete