Thread: Assited living

Assited living

I want to know if low level quads can move to an assisted living fulcility?
    Last edited by Jim; 04-21-2016 at 10:50 AM.

This varies by the facility and the state. You need to find out what applies for your state and any specific facility you are looking at. Some will allow you to live there but you have to provide your own attendant care for bowel or bladder care, and sometimes transfers and dressing if you are not independent. Many do not include that level or type of assistance; instead providing only meals, housekeeping, and supervision of medications, or sometimes dressing. Your local Independent Living Center may have information on applicable state laws and regulations.

(KLD)

I've been told by people who have worked at some of these places that I would have to be able to walk.

I meant home health care. Instead of assisted living.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
    I meant home health care. Instead of assisted living.
    I'm confused. Home health care is provided in your own home. It is not something you move to or live in. Whether or not you can get home health care depends on many factors such as whether you fit the formal definition of homebound, what skilled or rehabilitative services you need (not just "maintenance" care) and what your insurance covers.

As far as assisted living facilities, in my area you do not need to be able to walk to live in one, but you do need to provide most of your own care; either by doing it yourself or hiring an outside PCA. See my first response above.

(KLD)

I've kind of had it with all the responsibility and expense of being a homeowner and looked into assisted care facilities in my area. They would not take anybody permanently confined to a wheelchair. Yes it would be kind of depressing being around elderly people, but that is the price one pays for being relieved of responsibilities of homeownership. Apartment dwelling is very difficult when one considers the need for a reserve private offstreet parking spot near the door, ability to put in a roll in shower, and preferably one where one does not have to rely on an elevator, which when it goes out or is in need of repair these you stranded.

They are legally categorized as a level of care facility where persons do not need such a level of care and accordingly have a different set of architectural and logistical requirements.

Should you need a higher level of care than you would most unfortunately be required to reside in, probably, some sort of nursing home.

It is truly tragic person such as ourselves do not have access to living facilities and allow us to be in the community and is much as possible independent.

My parents lived in "senior housing" for several years before passing away. They had to be over 55, or permanently disabled, to get an apartment there. They were in their 70's, ambulatory at the time, and lived there into their 90's. One had an array of services that could be "added" to rent cost, such as cleaning, laundry, meals in the dining room.

Across the parking lot from their building was another unit in the complex, for "assisted living". I usually saw elderly persons being pushed in a wheelchair by an attendant going in and out of the building.
    Rent in my parent's unit was based on income. They were low income, both on Social Security, and paid about $700 per month. They did not add on any extras and fixed their own meals. Since my mother needed occasional in-home care, they qualified for a two bedroom unit.
    This arrangement was great for me and my husband as it was ALL barrier-free, and the first time we could frequently visit them, both of us being wheelers.
    If someone is age 55, these housing developments got federal funding, and so I'm almost certain they could not refuse a person with a disability, and I also believe the age restriction would not apply.
    Personal care would be the complete responsibility of the individual person. They do not provide personal care in "senior housing", but it sure seems like a housing solution for someone who can pay for their own personal care, then consider the added services - maybe cheaper than purchasing from outside cleaning services, etc.?
    I have an elderly quad friend who lives in "senior housing" that does NOT offer extra services. She is very low income on S.S and SSI and qualifies for in-home care; the person prepares meals, and does light cleaning and laundry. She has had a great relationship with her care worker for 10 years.

I live in an assisted living facility. It's more head injuries and spinal cord. There's only 13 of us here at the moment but the facility provides all the care, laundry, meals and showers. Some of my neighbors really suck but there's not much I can do their so I just try to ignore it.There are lots of rules but nothing unreasonable. The staff is generally nice and polite but there's always that one person that can get on people's nerves. I live in Peoria and right now public transportation is limited to city. It's getting hot out here so transfers can be kind of difficult. I've just recently started taking the buses around town to get out and about. It's been nice and I got this new spiffy power wheelchair to do it in although I still prefer to push my little manual chair. So anyways, maybe Google group homes or something where you want to live. Good luck
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.