Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Progress and prospects of chronic spinal cord injury research in 2015 and 2016

Isnt Dr Jerry Silver, Iowa St and Spinal Research from the UK all working together.
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

Quote Originally Posted by scimike View Post
    Do you know who's collaborating on chase? Thanks
    I think it was explained in 2.1 HERE

Thank you Grammy. It talks in general there. Dr. Silver talks about Dr. Elizabeth and Dr. Courtine in his U2FP speech in 2015 and I assumed that they are all working together. Dr. Courtine talks about his upcoming clinical trials that he will also use a biological agent ( is that Chase?). Do you know if these things are happening or will happen in the near future. Thanks

Also are you in Dr. Elizabeth’s lab in your facebook picture?

Quote Originally Posted by scimike View Post
    Thank you Grammy. It talks in general there. Dr. Silver talks about Dr. Elizabeth and Dr. Courtine in his U2FP speech in 2015 and I assumed that they are all working together. Dr. Courtine talks about his upcoming clinical trials that he will also use a biological agent ( is that Chase?). Do you know if these things are happening or will happen in the near future. Thanks

Also are you in Dr. Elizabeth?s lab in your facebook picture?
    Yes, Dr. Silver has worked with Drs. Elizabeth Bradbury, Elizabeth Muir and Gregoire Courtine on different collaborative projects.

Courtine and colleagues injected rats with a chemical cocktail that binds to dopamine, adrenaline and serotonin receptors on the spinal cord's neurons. This replaced the neurotransmitters that would normally be released in healthy spinal pathways. A few minutes after priming the neurons, the team stimulated the rats' spinal cords through electrodes implanted into the spinal canal. This sent electrical signals to the roused neurons. The G-Therapeutic's soft pliable stimulator is supposed to stimulate and also has the capability to release the medication to the spinal cord. They hope to go to clinical trial very soon.

Different labs use a little bit different cocktails to excite the neurotransmitters. Spinalon, (if it makes it to market) will work on the same premise. Edgerton's lab I believe uses the medication called Buspar.

They are not using Chondroitinase-(Ch'ase) which is a bacterial enzyme used to dissolve scar (or CSPG) in the spinal cord lesion. That's an entirely different treatment proposal. It is being worked on by different groups. In fact, Dr. Charles Tator of Canada also received grant funding recently from W4L to bring this to market. Iowa State University Veterinary College is involved with testing Chondroitinase. Dr. Nick Jeffery is conducting the dog trial there. I had the privilege of finally meeting him in Baltimore last year where he spoke at W2W2015. The Canine Rehabilitation Center sees nearly 1,000 animals each year. Here is a list of people on the ISRT Spinal Research steering committee in the UK. LINK

The facebook page for 'Spinal Cord Injury Research and Science' was actually a lab snapshot taken at the Reeve-Irvine Research Center in Irvine, California after W2W2012. It was used on a cover page of one of their video's. Yes, I'm the center person there asking questions. I haven't been to the UK to tour the Bradbury lab, but I know others that have. I've only met her in the US a couple times when we were both at the ISNR Asilomar conference in Pacific Grove, CA in 2013 and 2015.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 05-22-2016 at 12:00 AM.

Thank you very much GRAMMY. You know so much and it must be frustrating for you sometimes when we post certain things and then you see them as they are not true or being misinterpreted. Thank you again.