Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety of Lyrica for SCI recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    This rather alarmist link popped up in my Facebook news feed. It claims that Lyrica prevents formation of new brain synapses. It doesn't mention spinal cord nerves, buy that is my concern.

Can Lyrica impede nerve repair?
    If so, are there alternatives to Lyrica and gabapentin that are not problematic?

I'm taking Lyrica for paresthesia and it's working far better than gabapentin.
    Yes Lyrica will hindered your recovery,actually read that long-term use of it can actually atrophy parts of the brain! Baclofen may also affect recovery, in fact I almost guarantee it does from my own experience. Most of these new clinical trials don't want you on either, as they inhibit or block signals! I've got Lyrica is nerve pain is just pain, never ending, relentless constant pain but it still just pain I could tolerate it, spasms although painful have a much larger impact, especially most of your body is paralyzed and affected by them ( not just legs ) and have low bone density. You're going to learn right quic that there is no such thing as an alternative to these problems, that don't offer the same or similar side effects or worse. There may be a slight hope with marijuana, but I highly doubt it

Yay.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Yes Lyrica will hindered your recovery,actually read that long-term use of it can actually atrophy parts of the brain! Baclofen may also affect recovery, in fact I almost guarantee it does from my own experience. Most of these new clinical trials don't want you on either, as they inhibit or block signals!
    Could you provide information on where the above information to be true? Considering I'm using both right now and have been on Baclofen almost since the time of my accident, I'm a little concerned.

Thanks.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

Quote Originally Posted by DaDutchman View Post
    Could you provide information on where the above information to be true? Considering I'm using both right now and have been on Baclofen almost since the time of my accident, I'm a little concerned.

Thanks.
    Sorry man I'm just seeing this, honestly Ill probably never be able to find the article on Lyrica possible link to atrophying a section of the brain; or how baclofen my hinder recovery because researchers barely look into such things (although that seems like a general understanding with doctors now finally, pretty self-explanatory it blocks signals basically so obviously that has consequences ) as for it affecting eligibility in clinical trials just take a look at clinical trials.gov the epidural stimulator is one that I know for certain doesn't want you taking these drugs. Truth be told Lyrica doesn't do much for nerve pain anyways not worth the risk and obviously taking drugs like these long-term have potentially serious implications

I'm tending to agree with you in that Lyrica doesn't do much for nerve pain. I was on 100 mg/day and was advised by one doctor to increase it to 200 mg/day to see if it would help ease some of my shoulder blade pain. I think it may have help just a tiny bit. With all the other crap my body's going through, now might not be the time to back off of or quit the Lyrica. I would like nothing more than to get off not only the Lyrica, but the Baclofen and Cymbalta as well. I think with the Botox I'll be able to get off of the 15 mg of Ditropan. As for the prescription grade Prilosec I take, I need to get off that too because of possible dementia side effects. That would leave me nothing but vitamins and supplements to take. Although I'm sure if I was to dig into these deep enough, I'm sure I'd come up with something negative about them. Just peachy.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

I went from gabapentin to lyrica and the lyrics is doing noticeably more for my paresthesia. Would still prefer to get off it if I can.

doctors will probably not tell you that it will affect the nerve recovery because I think doctors need scientific evidence to tell us that. As you can see from above comments that there was no study for lyrica like drugs affecting the nerves. I only went with what Dr. Wise said about some drug that it makes muscles flaccid and that scared me because any drug will probably affect especially strong ones like lyrica. If you can, do not take it.

Quote Originally Posted by scimike View Post
    doctors will probably not tell you that it will affect the nerve recovery because I think doctors need scientific evidence to tell us that. As you can see from above comments that there was no study for lyrica like drugs affecting the nerves. I only went with what Dr. Wise said about some drug that it makes muscles flaccid and that scared me because any drug will probably affect especially strong ones like lyrica. If you can, do not take it.
    It just seems self explanatory right! Doctors also won't tell you're taking antibiotics constantly will develop superbugs So there's that, this injury has taught me never to take with Dr. say too seriously

So... anyone got any tips on drug-free ways of dealing with fairly severe paresthesia?
    Sometimes mine is so "loud" I can barely think. Other times it manifests in locations that are nearly intolerable

Non-man, the only thing I can think of is medical marijuana