Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schwalbe Marathon Plus has changed

Schwalbe Marathon Plus has changed

I just purchased a new chair and like the two before it, I ordered the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires and have been very happy with them. On my new chair I noticed the tread design has changed, which is fine, but it seems more than that changed. My new chair doesn't roll nearly as well as my old chair, until I throw on my old wheel set on my new chair, which is the same, Spinergy LX. I can easily push my finger into the tread of the new tires, they are softer than the old ones. I have checked the bearings and they are fine. I called the 800 number and talked to customer service and they claimed it is simply a tread design change.

I really dislike these new ones but there are not many options for 25" x 1", plus I like the black. I live in Michigan so I need a treaded tire.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Have you checked the air pressure of both sets?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Have you checked the air pressure of both sets?
    Yes. I even pumped the new ones another 5 lbs more than I normally do to make them perform better. I usually pump them to 135, per my gauge.

Have you tried the new tire/wheel combo on your old chair yet?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Have you tried the new tire/wheel combo on your old chair yet?
    Yes, sort of. When I put my old set on my new chair, we put the new on the old and I had my son try it and he said it was worse. It isn't easy for me to jump from one chair to another. When I switched wheels, my dad did it with me in the chair.

Ditto! Just put a new set of Marathon Plus tires on my Spinergy LX's yesterday. When the tires arrived I was very disappointed to see the design change. The old design was great why change it. I dont like that they took off the reflective stripe. I am not having the softness issue. They just dont roll the same and seem more heavy duty. plus the rubber smell still has not disappated my last set did not smell this bad. I am not used to rolling around smelling of very strong rubber...very unpleasant.

The reflective tape was an option before; personally, I hated the reflective tape so I am glad it was an option.

I was out in the driveway with my son at lunch, as we have some warm weather finally, and by the time I came in my shoulders and elbows joints are sore and I didn't even move around a lot.

Some old style MPE (scroll down) are still available at really low prices.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Some old style MPE (scroll down) are still available at really low prices.
    Thanks chas...I did see that, unfortunately not my size.

My latest on this. I couldn't take the tires anymore, getting sore shoulders and elbows, besides disliking them. I switched wheel sets for a couple days and the difference was massive, so I swapped the tires on each wheel set. The difference is there even without me in the chair. When I get in bed I give my chair a little shove out of the way and the littlest push sends it across the room, not so with the new tires.

I tried to source some old stock but had no success. In doing so I found that the newer style has been around for some time now, so I am surprised I haven't seen more from others on the issue.

Here are some pictures of the new and old, I would be curious to hear from those that have the new version.

New...

Old...