Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night bag backups due to strange pressure/vacuum effect?

Question Night bag backups due to strange pressure/vacuum effect?

I'm not sure if anyone else had this experience, but it appears that almost every other night sometimes multiple nights ? I wake up with extreme A/D, painful kidneys and nerve pain. Afterwhile, I've been able to figure out that the nighttime plumbing system is somehow become a problem.

There is no obstruction in the system ? it has something to do with the vacuum or gas/air that bacteria make overnight that creates volume and stops the flow of urine into the bag.

is becoming a serious problem because I cannot figure out how to address it since logic cannot be used as a tool. If I wake up and have help unplugging the catheter from the extension tube- gas or air is somehow released or given and when the tube is plugged back in it flows and I'm okay. It's becoming scary because there's only so long that I can withstand the kidney pain from this.

any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Be sure you have no dependent loops in the system. There should be no part of the tubing that hangs below the top of the urine bag. You also may find that a different bag brand may have less problems for this than others.

(KLD)

When I was in the hospital (I straight cathe now) I had similar issues and none is the tubing was below the bag. Thankfully my wife would keep an eye on it and, with some manipulating of the tubing, she would get it to drain again. Probably a poor design in that model? It was like there was no way for the air to the escape the bag?

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    When I was in the hospital (I straight cathe now) I had similar issues and none is the tubing was below the bag. Thankfully my wife would keep an eye on it and, with some manipulating of the tubing, she would get it to drain again. Probably a poor design in that model? It was like there was no way for the air to the escape the bag?
    Thank you both for your answers. I've done some research and into different bags but I still can't find one that I can count on. It's strange that we have reviews on books music cars, almost everything in the world but medical supplies that our lives count on are not easy to find.

Are there deluxe ? premium ? luxury leg/night bags? I wonder what Larry Flynt gets?

As far as I know, only Hollister makes a vented urinary leg bag system:

http://www.allegromedical.com/cathet...z-p174271.html

Here is another that I am not familiar with that claims to be a vented bedside drainage bag:

http://www.discountchiropracticsuppl...nage-bags.html

You might find this interesting:

http://www.vitalitymedical.com/pdf/u...ags-safety.pdf

(KLD)

Thank you KLD.

I have some research to do. Unfortunately, physicians are not aware of the different products on the market. In a closed system- it makes complete sense that there should be air exchange, however whenever I bring this up to nurses I'm given credulous looks. I would think that this would be very important because backups create UTIs UTIs create serious infection and serious infection leads to death.

I'm as confused as most nurses – gravity should pull fluid to the floor/lowest - as long as there are no kinks. I shouldn't have to go to sleep with dread.

It is sad so little research money has gone into catheters. It drives me insane that I have to update my iPhone every six months but the garden hose that expels waste from my body hasn't been seriously developed since the 1930s.

I've seen other catheters in comparison to foley- but I have heard little feedback on their safety and efficacy.

The major drainage problem I had was with the coiled plastic tubing. I solved that problem by cutting off the tubing and sticking another connector on the end. Cut to the minimal length I need the coiling is pretty much eliminated. The other problem is with the anti reflux valve used in both the bedside bag and legbags. It is that flat piece inside at the top. If that gets a bend in it it shuts off the urine flow.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I contacted Bard (last year sometime) about this vapor lock problem with a few ideas to prevent it. They said they were working on it. If the inside of the hose had some sort of groove, like a rifle barrel, or some other irregularity it wouldn't lock up, but it would probably be a point at which bacteria would grow. Plus it would probably cost too much to be viable. I just try and keep a downward slant without a valley.

Good idea Scott. They could use silver-loaded tygon for the tubing as an antibacterial.

And sometimes there are just defects in the product ??
    CWO