Thread: FES / e-Stim recommendations

FES / e-Stim recommendations

I'm essentially reposting here as I didn't get much response in Equipment. My original post was here:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ecommendations

FYI, I did use search and read a ton of stuff before posting this new thread.

I'm a new (6 months) T7 looking to improve my FES capabilities.
    Shortly after my injury I purchased a used, 6-channel RT300. Rather than pony up cash for an official program tailored for me, I simply used the previous patient's program. This has essentially stopped atrophy of my glutes, hamstrings and quads (I was a competitive cyclist before my injury so there was still ample atrophy before it stopped).

At this point there are two areas where I need help.

1. My lower legs (calves and anterior tibias) have continued to atrophy and I'd like to stop that.
    2. I'd like the ability to do "spot" FES to combat abdominal and lower back spasms.

As far as I can tell my options are to upgrade my RT300 (probably very expensive route) or buy a standalone FES/estim box. I'm at a loss on that second option as there are so many systems.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

** Note: QuadmanJR says the RT300 can be reconfigured by the user. If anyone has details on how to do this please let me know!!

I bought 4 Rt50's and swap from front part of my lower leg to the calf every other ride along with my and or back. It helps but a pain in the ass to get all the leads on.

If you have your own RT300, the company should be able to tell you how to set up your own profile, and I can't imagine they'd charge for that. The advantage to having your own profile would be that you could create yourself a few different cycling programs, all of which incorporate the muscles you want to target. For example, you could set yourself up a quads-abs-tibs program, or a lower back-hamstrings-glutes program - whatever combination you felt like, really. Generally it is not recommended to do FES cycling for more than an hour a day, but if you switch up the muscles, you work with each ride, i.e. do one set of muscles for 45 minutes and another set for 45 minutes, that would be fine.

You are right that there are a ton of standalone FES stimulators. The only one I have experience with is the Empi unit, and it is pretty versatile and you can do a lot of exercises with it, especially if you have the manual trigger for the stim.

I'll try RTI again but their initial response was $4,000 to set me up as a customer (I bought my RT300 off eBay) which they then reduced to $2,500 when I protested. I poked around I their app and couldn't find any way to do it. I imagine there are .ini files or something similar that can be edited but I've no clue beyond that supposition.

Mize let me pm you

Thank you cfx. Will give it a go.
    Spoke to RTI and they'll sell me a Sage 10 computer unit to upgrade me to 12 channels. I guess it comes with a case of Kleenex to stem the nosebleed from the high price.

Is it just me or do the equipment makers seem to think paralysis comes with a winning lottery ticket?

You're hundred percent right on medical manufacturing companies thinking that we won the lottery. Those of us without settlements are barred from entry. I think they market to people with means.