Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic door opener alternatives for apt

Electronic door opener alternatives for apt

Hi currently have a electronic door opener installed in my current apartment, which I paid for privately. I will be moving to a new apartment, and as of now plan to transfer the unit to my new apartment. It's a bit of a hassle. I started to have thoughts if I could somehow manage to open the door manually. Any one with similar level of functioning (C4/5 complete) have a technique for opening/closing a door manually?

If you mean the door leading directly into your unit then yes I have been doing it for years. If you post some more specific info and I can help you figure it out and send you photos of how I do it.
    ^^(A)^^

Great, what specifics do you mean?

He probably needs the following:

Door opening position (inward or outward when you are outside the unit)
    Flat or threshold ramp entrance
    Door width and opening width
    Door knob position (height, right or left) and type of door knob (round or lever)

Will you have an electronic lock that you can open with your cell phone or a remote? Swinging the door open/closed is just part of getting into/out of your unit.

Also, did your agreement with the landlord when installing your door opener require you to return the door to it's original condition when moving out? Often it does, and they can require this, or may want to take the costs of restoration from your cleaning deposit.

(KLD)

I don't have all those specifics unfortunately. I do know it is a flat entrance with a lever handle. It would not have an electronic lock (at least not as of now).

Yes, I intend to have everything restored to original once the door opener has been removed.

You can probably solve the problem with 1 trip to the hardware store.

1. Deadbolt lock with key hole on the outside.
    2 Self closing spring loaded hinge.
    3. Some metal brackets, small screws, wing nuts, lock washers.
    4. Leather shoelace.
    5. Kick plate or plastic cut for kick-plate and small flat head screws.

Okay, mine opens in with a push down handle and a dead bolt key lock, my doorway is flat so that makes it easy. We replaced 1 door hinge (the one in the middle) with a spring loaded self closing hinge. You need to play around a little with the adjustment so it will close behind you.

From the outside I use my self made key holder to unlock the deadbolt and pull on the leather shoelace to get my key out, Push down on the handle and open the door with my feet on the kick plate. When I get inside it will close behind me and I turn around to lock it.

From the inside I pull up on an angle and unlock the door, push down on the handle and pull it open then use my elbow to hold it open while I exit then I turn around and lock it with my key.
    ^^(A)^^

Thank you for your explanation. My issue I think will be opening the door from the inside...first being able to get close enough to the door to reach the handle, then being able to pull it open.
    I'm also finding it difficult to get enough leverage on the door lever.
    Last edited by landrover; 04-16-2016 at 08:25 AM.

I our old place the front door was in a hallway so I couldn't really go up to it on an angle and push down on the handle to swing it open without my chair being in the way. I solved it by installing an over the door hook and attaching a looped rope to it so I would go up to the door straight on, loop the rope around my wrist, unlock the deadbolt and push down on the handle then back up my chair to open the door. Once open I could roll out using the rope to pull it shut behind me then lock it with my key.

This one is real close to the one I had, we used 1 screw into the door so it wouldn't move or fall off and we drilled a hole in the curved hanger part to loop the rope through.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...ingMethod=p13n
    ^^(A)^^

How much function do you have?