Thread: Do UTIs/infections correlate with bowel incontinence for you?

Do UTIs/infections correlate with bowel incontinence for you?

So I just survived stage 4 hodgkin's lymphoma - I underwent the ABVD protocol for 5 months (10 treatments) and I have an supra-pubic catheter. Because of the chemo and that catheter, I got a UTI after almost every treatment.

I can feel the urge to go, and I know my bladder capacity. I typically know when I have a UTI because I get more frequent urges, feel some pain, and my capacity significantly diminishes.

By the end of the chemo, the bacteria developed resistance to most oral antibiotics - but I have not had the above symptoms since mid December.

However, I have had incontinence episodes 4x in the last two months - that is highly unusual for me as I went nearly two years without an incontinence episode prior to this February.

I had a PET scan done and apparently there is something in my prostate - my oncologist thinks it could be the UTI hiding in the prostate. I'm getting a prostate exam and a PSA done in case of cancer (again) but I'm not too worried...I think the infection theory makes a lot more sense.

I think this makes some sense given my recent incontinence episodes but I'm wondering if UTIs have affected anyone else in the same way.

Unfortunately between the SCI and the cancer etc it's so hard to diagnose any of my problems so I'm just looking for other's experiences.

Are you taking probiotics when you are on antibiotics? This can help to prevent antibiotic associated bowel problems. When you say incontinence, I assume you mean bowel (not bladder) incontinence??

If you have prostatitis, it can cause recurrent infections of your urinary tract. It will also raise your PSA level, so does not necessary mean you have prostate cancer even if you PSA shoots up. I would recommend that with your history that your urologist work together with an infectious disease physician in determining how to treat any prostatitis. 6 weeks of antibiotics is commonly needed.

(KLD)

Sorry - that's correct...bowel incontinence.

That's a good tip on the PSA...I know it is one of the worst false positive cancer tests out there. I am getting a digital exam done as well. I obviously will be speaking to my infectious disease doc going forward...will recommend to her she speaks with my urologist as well.

Thanks for the insight. So rare to find knowledgable medical professionals in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Are you taking probiotics when you are on antibiotics? This can help to prevent antibiotic associated bowel problems. When you say incontinence, I assume you mean bowel (not bladder) incontinence??

If you have prostatitis, it can cause recurrent infections of your urinary tract. It will also raise your PSA level, so does not necessary mean you have prostate cancer even if you PSA shoots up. I would recommend that with your history that your urologist work together with an infectious disease physician in determining how to treat any prostatitis. 6 weeks of antibiotics is commonly needed.

(KLD)
    Have it been your experience that UTIs are associated with bowel incontinence for SCI patients?

Rarely.

(KLD)