Thread: Laminectomy Concerns

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Laminectomy Concerns

I have been diagnosed with Lumbar Spinal Stenosis, and I have scheduled a laminectomy surgery. I am a very incomplete C1-C2. I have some concern about healing and recovery because of my spastic muscles. I don't have severe spasticity, but sometimes they make my back pain flair up. Comments regarding experience or recommendations would be gratefully welcomed. Thanks.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

How many levels of laminectomy? Will you be in a brace after surgery? You may need to take medications for spasticity during the post-operative period, as the surgery is likely to trigger significant acute pain.

(KLD)

L3-L4-L5. I do not know if I will be in a brace, but my spasms do not make my body contort. I can feel the muscles tightening, but I can control my motion. I take 20mg of Baclofen three times per day, and I was thinking that rather than increase the Baclofen during recovery that maybe it would be better to add a different drug like Valium. A doctor prescribed that when I badly bruised my ribs, and it seemed to work well without making me very drowsy. Thanks for your help.

Are they planning to do a fusion too? Many physicians prefer to brace and fuse for more than 2 levels of lumbar laminectomy. You need to ask the surgeon about this prior to the surgery.

We recommend the use of Valium only if your other spasticity meds don't work. Valium can cause physical dependence over time, increases risk for depression, and causes more sedation than baclofen or tizanidine.

(KLD)

He is not planning to fuse. How long do you need to take Valium for dependence to occur? Thanks for your answers.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun View Post
    He is not planning to fuse. How long do you need to take Valium for dependence to occur? Thanks for your answers.
    You should still ask specifically about bracing then. Generally taking Valium for less than 3 months would be considered to avoid development of physical dependence, but a lot depends upon dose and frequency of taking the drug.

(KLD)

Thanks, I will ask about bracing. The recovery period is only ten days, and I would only want the extra anti spasmodic during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun View Post
    Thanks, I will ask about bracing. The recovery period is only ten days, and I would only want the extra anti spasmodic during that time.
    I think you may mean the hospitalization is 10 days. It will take much longer than 10 days to fully recover from this surgery.

(KLD)