Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meals for one person

Meals for one person

I'm a 45 year old T3 12 years post injury. My bowle program has been getting worse for the past 6 months or so, (getting constipated). The doctors have me taking Psyllium powder daily which I've been doing for about a month. As long as I drink enough water things go pretty smooth, I think my body still needs to get used to it. Along with the "tree bark drink" every morning he urged me to start eating healthier.

I live alone, hate cooking, and usually order out. I know a high fiber diet is the way to go, but I'm having no luck finding fast easy meals I can make myself.

I'm positive that getting older along with not eating well are catching up with me. I have never been big on breakfast. If I eat anything it's yogurt and a banana, along with a coffee or tea. Lunch is typically a ham sandwich and bowl of chunky soup. Dinner is usually a pizza or TV dinner.

Anyone have some ideas for easy meals or cookbooks for one?

Being exceedingly lazy (and having lived on my own with no roommates for the past 12 years or so (pre and post injury) I feel your pain. I'm about a decade younger than you, but I know my body won't allow me to eat all this crap forever (though I'm still enjoying it for now).When I have the time, I like to cook. It's just that I rarely have the time, but it's really not that hard. I hate cleaning up with a passion, so I rarely use more than one pot/pan to cook a meal. A crock pot is a good idea, but I've never been able to plan that far ahead.If I wanted to get something with some fiber, I'd pick up some spinach from the store and some boneless chicken thighs (much easier to cook than breasts because they are more fatty). Chop the chicken up into bite sized chunks and saute it until they're almost done, and then toss in the spinach to cook it down at the end. Of course you're gonna want to drop some spices in there, but you got your protein and fiber from the veggies. Great thing about something like that is you can make too much and put the leftovers in some tupperware for the next day, a couple minutes in the microwave and you've got another meal ready. Add some whole wheat bread to it and you've got a relatively well balanced meal with very few ingredients. Of course there's a million different variations you could do on the above recipe.As for websites, allrecipes.com is my favorite. They have a "quick and easy" section, though from the pictures I'd probably cut a lot of corners to save a little more time (never been very good at following the rules).

Cooking for two is not a whole lot different. The way my wife and I deal with it is to make bigger batches of food and freeze the leftovers. We have a small freezer in addition to the one in the fridge.The freezer is also useful for storing meat and other things that are cheaper if you by a family pack. It makes for fewer shopping trips too. Eating salads is a good way to get fiber. You can make a salad and throw on a sliced broiled or baked chicken breast or something and have a high fiber and protein and low carb meal. Change dressings and veggies for variety.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

There are a ton of simple, tasty recipes with good nutrition (including fiber) that one can do in a slow cooker. For a single person you can cut everything in half and put half in the fridge to reheat a day or two later. Some are good with an egg or two for breakfast.

Cooking Light has a good cook book for slow cookers. The nice thing about slow cooker is they're a single pot meal and often just dumping the ingredients in and cooking all day or overnight. Sometimes you'll need to chop a few veggies but the prep is usually minimal.

I use Blue Apron. www.blueapron.com. Great, fresh food and no waste. I can't recommend enough.

Stir frys. Doesn't take much to chop (or buy pre-chopped) veggies and meat and throw it in a hot pan with some oil. Easy and quick and fresh.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I get chicken breasts from my local butcher, cut them into fillets and spice them up with herbs de provence, parsley, sea salt and pepper. Bake them and freeze them. That's one meal for a month paired with 2 vegetables-- usually green beans and squash.

Chicken marsala is way easy to make and it's delicious. I freeze that. That's a second meal for a month.

Chicken riggies -- this one takes me a couple hours to make. I use foodwishes recipe on YouTube. However, I don't add noodles. I eat it with quinoa and a vegetable. That's a third meal for a month.

Homemade lasagna from a local deli. Takes one and a half hours to bake. Freeze it. There's six meals for six weeks. I have it with two vegetables.

Meatloaf -- easy to make and freeze. There's another meal for a month. I eat it with two vegetables.

Etc. etc. etc. those are my lunch big meals.

For breakfast I usually have scrambled eggs, fried eggs and a protein such as sausage or bacon -- almost every morning! And my doctor commented on my low-cholesterol level. LOL. But you see, I have plenty of grains and fruits for other meals.

At night, I do soups a lot with some hummus and flatbread. Sometimes I'll throw in a Coney island or tunafish sandwich.

There's hardly any cooking by doing this. You make a big batch, freeze it and eat it once a week. In the summer, I barbecue. That is all.

Oh yeah, I'll snack with yogurt, raisins, Doritos occasionally, or other stuff within moderation.

Also try brown flax seeds but grinded. They help a lot and they have omega 3 also. Put it on yogurt or cereal, etc with at least 2 tablespoon

These are great suggestions. I would add that I often get a bag of shrimp and one of scallops for the freezer. It's amazing how many meals you can get out of them over several months. That is, stir fry, pasta (though I limit that), salads, etc. I get store-bought cut up frozen vegetables. I try to focus on protein, vegetables and limited carbohydrates (potatoes, rice, pasta) for main meal. I like to have those Baby Bell cheeses on hand - have one for breakfast with fruit.

I have found that if I focus on 'time management', I start meal preparation before I get hungry: getting things out of the fridge/freezer, getting out utensils, drinks. It's not helpful to rush in preparing something as important as a meal.

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    N Nedela, your Thread is titled "meals for one person", but you also mentioned constipation. So, please excuse me for intruding on everyone's lovely recipes with my natural laxative suggestions.

A gentle remedy is boiled okra. Slice open a few pods. Boil in a small amount of water. And just drink the slimy part.

There's the old standby of drinking prune juice or eating prunes.

And there is tamarind. In Texas, I buy the dry tamarind pods from the grocery store produce section. I peel away the fine shell, and eat the sour pulp raw. It is a laxative. It can also be used in a myriad of recipes.

A couple of spoonfuls of either flaxseed oil, coconut oil, or even olive oil can be taken 'straight' as a laxative.

Herbal remedies are cascara sagrada or senna. There are good Chinese herbal laxatives. (I've been taking one, but I'm in bed right now and can't remember the name.) And there is, of course, Epsom Salts.