Thread: Drug Testing...TIME LIMITS?

Drug Testing...TIME LIMITS?

I'm in getting a "routine" drug test for a new job... there's a big harry nurse, bearing witness to my catheterizing, babbling about Donald Trump, looking at a stop watch..."Times up!" But wait, I just put lubricant on this catheter! "Times UP!"

Just ANOTHER way to keep the disabled from getting jobs

I get tested pretty regularly but the 3rd party company that does the testing has never given me a time limit. I will say that I enjoy the look on the faces as I show them how one uses a catheter.

"You sure you want to watch?"
    "I have to sir, by law"
    "Ok.."
    "Damn man you gotta do that everyday!??"

Quote Originally Posted by JakeHalsted View Post
    I'm in getting a "routine" drug test for a new job... there's a big harry nurse, bearing witness to my catheterizing, babbling about Donald Trump, looking at a stop watch..."Times up!" But wait, I just put lubricant on this catheter! "Times UP!"

Just ANOTHER way to keep the disabled from getting jobs
    I would think that violates the reasonable accommodation provisions of the ADA.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Lightbulb

Tman9513, ​Jake, and all,

They DO NOT have to watch you urinate. But they do have to make sure you cannot dilute the sample. Back when I did work, I took many drug tests. While I was a Department head, and could avoid taking the tests, As a direct supervisor of men "I" subjected myself to the same type of tests that all my crew were subjected to. "I" led my department by example. Every person who worked in Public Works had to take a drug test, no exceptions !

A properly laid out lab for drug testing is laid out so you cannot tamper with the test, and a degree of privacy, while you "peed" into a test cup. I believe this protocol is laid out in the Omnibus Transportation Act, some place in the late 1990's when all this testing for folks who are in a safety sensitive position testing, got its start. I never was subjected to a time limited test procedure, you have to catheterize, and doing so in front of an audience requires quite a bit of gumption, and tenacity, and this procedure certainly deserves a letter of protest to the direct authority who demanded you to take the test. Yes, "I"believe you have grounds for a formal notice of discrimination per the ADA.

If this job means enough to you to want an even break getting it ! I think this is at least worth considering.

That's pretty messed up. Not sure how sensitive the position you're applying for is, but at the hospitals I've worked at I've had no experiences like that at all, and (understandably) people like to piss test doctors and nurses a lot.The setup I've most often encountered had no time limit, and no one watching me piss. They let you go into a room on your own after they watched you wash your hands and then they shut off the water so you couldn't dilute anything, but it was nice and private and you could get all cleaned up and put together before letting the tech in to run the test.

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete
    When I worked, I possessed a TS/SBI *top secret, special background investigated* security clearance, which subjected me to random pee tests. We were never made to produce under the watchful eye, altho we were required to empty pockets and not flush after giving a sample. Their only strict requirement was to be able to "go" when it was your turn to be tested. If you weren't ready then you sat in a room and drank, drank, drank until you were ready.

I hope you follow up on the test you were required to do, doesn't seem fair that you were on a time limit.....

Having to produce under direct supervision is often the requirement in drug treatment programs or diversion programs. I have been tested through random selection in my job several times, and upon hire, and was always given privacy within a few restrictions (like no access to water).

Regardless, their refusal to let you have the time required to cath was unprofessional and doubtless a violation of ADA regulations. Please do complain. It will make a difference for other PWD who follow behind you. I wonder what this guy does with men who just have a "shy bladder"??

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    refusal to let you have the time required to cath was unprofessional and doubtless a violation of ADA regulations. Please do complain. It will make a difference for other PWD who follow behind you.
    (KLD)
    I could care less about this one guy. It's obviously a regulation the testing center has ... and it's a stupid one. Thanks for the encouragement, I ran it up the HR food chain

Quote Originally Posted by Treeza04 View Post
    When I worked, I possessed a TS/SBI *top secret, special background investigated* security clearance, which subjected me to random pee tests. We were never made to produce under the watchful eye, altho we were required to empty pockets and not flush after giving a sample. Their only strict requirement was to be able to "go" when it was your turn to be tested. If you weren't ready then you sat in a room and drank, drank, drank until you were ready.

I hope you follow up on the test you were required to do, doesn't seem fair that you were on a time limit.....
    thanks very much. I just want to make sure the next person that goes into that testing center isn't harassed. Yeah I did empty my pockets and stuff.

I absolutely HATE using catheters in medical places. The chances of picking something up from the catheter has got to be like 1000 times higher than anywhere else, except maybe a gym.

VA just hands u a cup, go cath, pour in cup, initial the sticker over cup, no big deal about it....