Thread: Belly bag issue

Belly bag issue

I use the Bellybag sporadically when I go to places with difficult access to bathrooms and when I travel.

For the last year or so I have noticed that the bellybag begins to smell after 12/24 hours of use, and the smell is very strong after 24/48 hours. It is a strong burnt like smell that is impossible to get rid of.

Anybody else has had to deal with this? How?
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

does that work with a condum cathegter
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I dont think so. I am bumping the thread hoping for some help!

Are you wearing it continuously for several days or changing to a bed bag at night? If you are changing at night what are you using to clean the belly bag?

I wear it only in trips for a week or two and on isolated occasions. I wear it for two or three days, it smells so bad I throw it away and put a new one on. A day or two later, same thing.

i have tried cleaning it with water/soap, vetericyn, etc., since I discard the bag every couple of days (which gets really expensive), I should not need to be using bleach. Plus, a few years ago I could go a week or two with the same bag, cleaning it with bleach/water every two or three days. Now, by that time it just smells too bad.

finally, when I take the bag off my urine does not smell. It has to do with the bag. It is a strong burnt rubber like smell.

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto View Post
    I wear it only in trips for a week or two and on isolated occasions. I wear it for two or three days, it smells so bad I throw it away and put a new one on. A day or two later, same thing.

i have tried cleaning it with water/soap, vetericyn, etc., since I discard the bag every couple of days (which gets really expensive), I should not need to be using bleach. Plus, a few years ago I could go a week or two with the same bag, cleaning it with bleach/water every two or three days. Now, by that time it just smells too bad.

finally, when I take the bag off my urine does not smell. It has to do with the bag. It is a strong burnt rubber like smell.
    What type of a bag is it, vinyl, latex?

Latex bags should be cleaned with the acid cleaners like Urocare's Urolux appliance cleaner. Urolux is a 5% phosphoric acid solution that cleans and deodorizes. You need to take some care with this product because as a corrosive, and over time, it can ruin finishes on bathroom fixtures.

The same product could be used on vinyl or plastic bags. After you clean the bag, have you tried using a hair blow dryer on low heat to blow water out of the bag and help it dry quicker, then letting the bag hang and air dry until the next use?

Since you are having this problem with odor, I think I would still try to use bleach and water, even though you are throwing the bags away every few days. I've found straight alcohol does a pretty good job too. When you use the belly bag, do you switch to a night drain bag? Do you have the same odor problem with a night drain bag? I know there aren't many belly bags on the market to choose from, so switching to another brand may not be practical. Have you tried using a standard leg bag instead of the belly bag

All the best,
    GJ

GJ has great advice on cleaning the bags and it's pretty much on par with the what I do. Also, I wanted to mention that I've noticed that the Teleflex bags do not have an odor whereas the Bard need to be changed more often.