Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A new revolutionary wheelchair handrim.. RibGrips

Thanks. It is time to spec out a new chair and it sounds like they are something to consider.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

@John,
    Thank you for the review.

How durable would you say these grips are? I'm afraid I'm going to cut them all up by hitting the sharp edge of the ramp for getting in and out of my van. I'm about to replace the ones that I have now because they are all sliced up and pieces are hanging off.

Thanks.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

@DaDutchman
    Thank you for your inquiry.
    I have not heard or had any issues with the rubber hanging off or being torn off from hitting any sharp edges, Yet. In our video you may have seen where we took the claw side of a hammer and hit the RibGrips handrims with. No tear there. We are building a FAQ where I will be posting a video of RibGrips being cut with a box knife and hit by another claw hammer to show the durability of the rubber. We should have the video up in roughly a week.

I've personally tested/use the RibGrips in/out of my car and van. My van has the old-school Ricon lift with the sharp edges where I have ran into multiple times with the RibGrips handrims. No tears or rips in the five years of testing/using them. I don't recall ever making a rip or tear in the activities I do from hunting, fishing, camping, boating or abuse my chair gets from airplane travel. I've really used and abuse these RibGrips handrims in the last five years of testing/using them.

Before RibGrips, I used to use these type of rubber coated handrims pictured below for years and everything I hit instantly made a gouge, slice or a tear.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have anymore questions?

Thank you,

Brandon

Any update on availability of 25" rims? you're missing a very large part of the market!
    T4 Complete since 01/01/2012

I'd love to see more video of them being used going down a ramp/hill. I use the top of my hands with the Push Blaxs. While there is a lot of friction, I can control the descent. Are the RibGrips sticky enough to control how fast you go down hill?
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

absolutely. they dont burn like blax and no black residue.
    Quote Originally Posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
    I'd love to see more video of them being used going down a ramp/hill. I use the top of my hands with the Push Blaxs. While there is a lot of friction, I can control the descent. Are the RibGrips sticky enough to control how fast you go down hill?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
    Thanks. It is time to spec out a new chair and it sounds like they are something to consider.
    What chair are you going to get?

That is a good question. I drive from my chair and have used a TiLite Aero-R for the past 10 years. They not only discontinued the chair, my current one experienced some of the quality issues recently discussed. And that was before Permaboil entered the picture.

Now I have to go with a G2X or Aero X or back to a Quickie GPV because of the EZ Lock bracket. The folding chairs are lighter but I'll have to add a bracket for the Smart Drive. I haven't decided yet but I'm not thrilled with any of the choices.

I'm due for a new chair and want to stick with a Ti but I'm turned off by the recent complaints I've heard here.