Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A new revolutionary wheelchair handrim.. RibGrips

A new revolutionary wheelchair handrim.. RibGrips

Hello Fellow Wheelers!
    Being a Quad for many years I've struggled with Handrims. I've tried so many different manual wheelchair handrims the last 18+ years. After massive callus and shoulder pain, I finally designed, patented, and now manufacturing. After many hurdles and nearly 5 years later, I'm happy to share with everyone:

http://www.RibGrips.com

Check out our video.. Please share... They are truly a need!!! Thank you (Moderators, please don't kick me off.. I'm not sure where to post this) I just want to share...

Please watch... Thank you

Blog Entries
    Neat idea. Rubber causes a lot of friction heat. Do they get hot under your hands during controlled descents?
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

@Oddity
    I used to battle the friction heat with the rubber coated handrims. The rubber coated handrims would burn my hands while trying to stop. Most of those callus in the video are from friction heat. I was surprised with these RibGrips. They have so much grip that I actually stop when I apply force to brake. I don't get that "burning rubber" feeling or sensation on my hands.

I've had others ask questions about cleaning the rib discs. I wanted to pass this along to... I'm very active in the outdoors and I have used and tested the RibGrips in snow, sand, dirt, wet grass, woods with pine needles, Surprisingly nothing stuck in between the rib discs. I've even tried them out after spilling taco grease, lotion, and a variety of synthetics on my hands after tinkering around the house. The material is very resistant to everything. I've used several of our prototypes for testing and have never once washed or cleaned them. I'll be posting some videos from a few testers who used them in the rain and snow soon.

Here are a couple of pics I took.
    1. I rolled through my backyard after the 2 foot wet grass had been mowed. I expected the grass to stick in the rib discs but instead, the grass stuck to the tire. (6 months of usage on the handrim. Never cleaned or washed)

2. Below, I was out shooting in the foothills. I expected all the pebbles and dirt to get caught in between the ribs when rolling on the high points of the road where the dirt touches the handrims but once again, the dirt stuck to the tire. (7-1/2 months of usage on the handrim. Never cleaned or washed)

Thank you,
    Brandon

@Oddity
    (I responded yesterday but I keep getting a message for a moderator to approve my messages)

Looks like my first message above finally came through...

If you have any additional questions, please ask away.
    Thank you
    Last edited by bhandel76; 04-12-2016 at 04:27 PM. Reason: First Message was approved by moderator..

I got FitGrips and they burn my hands too much. They offer a great grip but I can only use them in the rain and if it stops raining, eek burn. They are very good around the house but for me it's been too much work putting them on. I think they are well made and could help some people a lot. Haven't made them work for me. I bought the FitGrips without trying them. I would try RibGrips before I bought.

@Grommet
    I have tried those and and another wrap over handrim cover from Frank's Mobility. They're nice but as you said, I had the same issues. Since I'm a quad, I use the top of my hands under the handrim a lot to stop and I didn't like the feel of the seam.
    Not to mention friction heat. I mentioned that above on Oddity's post.

You shouldn't have any of these issues with RibGrips. We offer a money back guarantee (see website for details) if you'd like to try the RibGrips Handrims.

Quote Originally Posted by bhandel76 View Post
    @Grommet
    I have tried those and and another wrap over handrim cover from Frank's Mobility. They're nice but as you said, I had the same issues. Since I'm a quad, I use the top of my hands under the handrim a lot to stop and I didn't like the feel of the seam.
    Not to mention friction heat. I mentioned that above on Oddity's post.

You shouldn't have any of these issues with RibGrips. We offer a money back guarantee (see website for details) if you'd like to try the RibGrips Handrims.
    Thank you for responding. Most companies offer a return policy but it's hard for me to return ship things. Also I have so much at home from trying new products over the years. I don't think I'm doing any buying again unless I hear a lot of people talking about their experiences or I try something first.

Gear is such an individual thing and in 20+ years I've only bought a couple of things that were actually badly made. All the rest was top notch stuff that just didn't work for me personally. I do think FitGrips are good and would help some people a lot. What you are selling looks great. Maybe some day I will have the chance to run them. Thanks for posting about them, I hope some people do get them and it helps them out.

** just watched the website video. That is a great video, really well done and fun. I did notice something that concerns me though. The grip seems so good that it doesn't slide in the hand but grabs instead. I noticed while you were braking you held the wheel stopped and the tires slid. That is going to wear out tires fast and cause some flats if there is something sharp under the tire. Also, how are you steering while coasting? I was hoping to see that in the video. If the grips won't slide through your hands, you can't take a little speed off either side.
    Last edited by grommet; 04-14-2016 at 11:14 AM.

@Grommet,
    With RibGrips you don't have to apply much force to stop or turn like you do with other rubber coated handrims. I don't recall ever skidding or sliding when braking with RibGrips. Never popped a tire. The first time I put them on for testing, I nearly through myself out of the chair. I would apply pressure and stop instantly or turn on a dime if needed. Wasn't used to that.

Being a quad, I have no grasp so when I'm coasting and need to turn or veer a different direction, I just barely tap the handrim.

Our material is soft but not sticky. The best comparison to the rubber would be the feel of a gummy bear I was an 80s kid and every kid on the block had these similar type grips on their BMX bikes. Very similar to our RibGrips now.

Hope this helps answer your questions.
    Thanks again for responding...

@Grommet
    I responded to your questions yesterday with some pictures but it seems to be taking Moderators 24 hours to approve anything I post with pictures. Hopefully it will get reviewed shortly..