Thread: Wall Lighting; Switches, Dimmers, Controls,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

Wall Lighting; Switches, Dimmers, Controls,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

Hi All,

Re; Types of ''Wall'' Switches, Dimmers, Controls.

I replaced my ''remote'' controlled ceiling fan w/ light fix, with a ''non-remote unit. It will work off a Wall switch. [I'm a quad] and can not pull the on/off chains, but I can hit/move ''flip'' Wall switches gently with my wrists/knuckles.

I want to be able to control the Fan and Light independently. Does anyone know of a website/source for handicapped ''friendly'' electrical Wall switches, controls, dimmers,,,,,,,,,???

Thank you,
    Freej

Quote Originally Posted by FREEJ View Post
    Hi All,

Re; Types of ''Wall'' Switches, Dimmers, Controls.

I replaced my ''remote'' controlled ceiling fan w/ light fix, with a ''non-remote unit. It will work off a Wall switch. [I'm a quad] and can not pull the on/off chains, but I can hit/move ''flip'' Wall switches gently with my wrists/knuckles.

I want to be able to control the Fan and Light independently. Does anyone know of a website/source for handicapped ''friendly'' electrical Wall switches, controls, dimmers,,,,,,,,,???

Thank you,
    Freej
    This is a bit basic (I haven't moved my house into the remote era yet), but I use chain extenders for the on/off chains. The chain extenders should be available in any jewelry section of a big-box store (like Walmart, maybe Target, etc), or online.

Then there is a very small notch in the chain, near the "top," that a person with height and full finger function can work loose. Insert the pull chain extender into the hole the original came out of, and attach the original to the bottom of the new chain. If you need further pieces, just make sure you are getting enough notches (hooks) when buying, and connect them down. I have 8' ceilings and have found single chain extenders about 4' long.

Some folks believe they are not as aesthetically pleasing than some other options. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it works for me.

If you are looking online, search terms you can use are "light switch chain extender," "pull chain extender," "light switch extender," etc.

You can also extend out the light switch (on the wall), if you find the switch hard to flip (this assumes you have switches with a little square nubbin, like in that picture, instead of wide rocker switches or other choices).

The little square nubbin on my light switches is just a hair close to 1/4". Many barrels of ink pens can be dismantled and put over this nubbin easily. I just tried a ZGrip brand and a Pilot G2 with no success, but I've used other brands. Another option is to go to the pet store (or hardware store) and ask for "aquarium tubing," with a request that the inner diameter be compatible to your needed lightswitch size and/or a hair larger. Sometimes the pet store (or hardware store) has scraps of this from previous cuts, if they sell it by the roll, and may even give you the scraps for free that they would have otherwise thrown away.

You can also ask any community groups (like Free Stuff groups) if they have tubing of appropriate size.

Fit the tubing over the light switch and trim to a length you prefer. I happen to have a service dog and load the tubing with peanut butter (to reward and allow him to turn it on/off easier) -- but you can skip that step!!

Good luck!
    Mystery

If a three one romex is the wire that was used, controlling the light and the fan individually would only require two switches. A dimmer for your lights if your wanting the ability to dim them. And then just a regular toggle switch for the fan control or possibly a rheostat switch to control the fan speed if it is an option for the fan. If it's two one romex another wire would have to be pulled. Or if your electrical wiring is accessible in your attic, a neutral could be jumped from another junction and an extra wall wire would not be necessary.

Some of mine are set up as Mystery's. I have a short extension chain with a ring at the end. That allows me to use a straightened clothes hanger with a hook bent on one end to hook through the ring and pull to turn the fan on and control the speed. The rest are remote controlled like your previous light fixture.
    Last edited by Brent K; 04-10-2016 at 05:11 AM.

Thanks Mystery & Brent.

I am looking for ''Tap or Touch'' controller//dimmer to operate//adjust a Ceiling "fan' and 'Light' individually. Home Depot does have ''Tap'' Dimmers; it is a small wall mount. [I don't know how to paste it here.]

I wonder if there is a ''bigger'' size ''Touch'' dimmer control,,,, Anyone,,,,,,,,,,???

T/Y,

Look at Wemo they can be controlled with a smart phone, iPad or computer!

Get them on eBay half the cost!

Dimmers are a fire hazard when used with lamps that are not dimmable. These often need to be removed if CFL or LED lighting is to be used. Safer bet is to only use halogen lighting or lamps that are specifically listed as compatible with the dimmer that has been used. Was on EL 41 Australian Standards lighting committee.

Wemo and Nest are the best way to go everything can be controlled with ones smart phone and not voice control too.

We have lights, thermostats, fire alarms, ceiling fans, ring door bell and garage remote all activated from my iPhone or Android phone.