Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all driving Quad's...anyone using push/rock hand controls?

Question Calling all driving Quad's...anyone using push/rock hand controls?

I'm a C5-6 with "locking" tension in my hands which allows me to use right-angle controls & v-grip steering with no other mod's.

Always used right-angle controls (35+ years), but for gas I get fatigue on extended use & hits my knee (limits) especially in mountain driving. Push-rock ere not available last time I bought a set of hand controls.

I would very much appreciate any info., pros-cons, opinion, suggestions, mfg., etc...anything from fellow Quad's on push-rock vs right-angle.

Thanks

I can't speak in regards to the push-rock because I've never tried those. But for the push right angle and them hitting your knee, have you tried adjusting the throw of it? This makes it so it doesn't have to move as far down to reach full acceleration. I know they also make something that puts a jog in the bar to raise it up at the end and keep it from hitting your knee.

For the fatigue issue, I just use cruise control any chance I get. And I mean ANY.

i alwayys used mpd right angle but decided to try push rock in my new van, hated them. the throttle was easier but braking with my hand thumb up really screwed me up. took them out and had my mpds installed, all good. have you removed or repositioned the throttle return on the hand control, that really helps. just be sure your handcontrol comes back to neutral

Quote Originally Posted by bjack56 View Post
    I'm a C5-6 with "locking" tension in my hands which allows me to use right-angle controls & v-grip steering with no other mod's.

Always used right-angle controls (35+ years), but for gas I get fatigue on extended use & hits my knee (limits) especially in mountain driving. Push-rock ere not available last time I bought a set of hand controls.

I would very much appreciate any info., pros-cons, opinion, suggestions, mfg., etc...anything from fellow Quad's on push-rock vs right-angle.

Thanks
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

My experience was the opposite of Fuentes. I used mpd's for over 10 years and thought they were decent, and yes, I found them hitting my knees too. I then tried the suregrips and haven't looked back. I liked it so much, I swapped my 2nd vehicle's mpd's with used suregrips, older version, I found on craigslist. It's so easy to use. Just resting my hand on the top with my elbow on the doorsill or armrest was enough to accelerate. Braking was about the same in terms of force required. The suregrips may travel a little farther when braking but I can't confirm. I haven't found a downside yet. I'm not sure why Fuentes said he had issues with braking, thumb up, because you can brake with your palm, thumb pointed to the right. Perhaps there wasn't enough room. In fact, the only time I grip the handle is when I'm making a hard left, and that's only to prevent me from falling over to the right. Isn't there a place in your area to try them out?

using your palm would be more of a tricep push, with zero tri's that angle gave me much less force from my shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by lazierdog View Post
    My experience was the opposite of Fuentes. I used mpd's for over 10 years and thought they were decent, and yes, I found them hitting my knees too. I then tried the suregrips and haven't looked back. I liked it so much, I swapped my 2nd vehicle's mpd's with used suregrips, older version, I found on craigslist. It's so easy to use. Just resting my hand on the top with my elbow on the doorsill or armrest was enough to accelerate. Braking was about the same in terms of force required. The suregrips may travel a little farther when braking but I can't confirm. I haven't found a downside yet. I'm not sure why Fuentes said he had issues with braking, thumb up, because you can brake with your palm, thumb pointed to the right. Perhaps there wasn't enough room. In fact, the only time I grip the handle is when I'm making a hard left, and that's only to prevent me from falling over to the right. Isn't there a place in your area to try them out?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I use push-pull MPD's that I modified with a tri-pin....love them
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Fuentes braking comment was probably one of my biggest concerns, other than the left turn issue has me nervous, but wife's an OT so should be able to come up with a fix. I think the SureGrip is closer to steering wheel than I would like. Some say it's annoying for able bodied driver, so looks like MPD or MPS push-rock would suit me better due to grip location.

I'm also going from transfer to driving from chair due to shoulder problems. Two places in town do mobility equipment, but one is a real @#$^*. Contacting this week to see about trying or swap back if I don't like.

Trying to stay away from tri-pin, just a personal thing, but might have to consider your option.

I seem to use palm with right angles having no mods/add-ons , but my left is weakest & possible the vertical push/rock grip could be too different even though my other muscles have compensated for weak tricep.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    using your palm would be more of a tricep push, with zero tri's that angle gave me much less force from my shoulder.

I'll definitely go with the jog if right angles. Mountain & city driving is a pain after a while...no cruise .

Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    I can't speak in regards to the push-rock because I've never tried those. But for the push right angle and them hitting your knee, have you tried adjusting the throw of it? This makes it so it doesn't have to move as far down to reach full acceleration. I know they also make something that puts a jog in the bar to raise it up at the end and keep it from hitting your knee.

For the fatigue issue, I just use cruise control any chance I get. And I mean ANY.