Thread: Home Health

Home Health

Hey guys I have a question for those of you in the United States that has indwelling caths. Who do you have change them every month?

I do not have the use of my hands which is the reason I have one in the first place. My doctor's office has ordered Home Health to come to my home and change it for me. This is been going on for a year now and I have recently learned that they are a temporary service. For a year they've come to see me once a week. Their social worker says it will probably be cut off.

I am under 65 by far and I receive disability because of this I am not legally allowed to buy insurance. I can buy it out of pocket if I go off disability. But then I won't have any money to eat let alone keep a roof over my head. I found that out the hard way when ObamaCare started. Because I am under 65 nobody will touch me when it comes to supplemental insurance. Are you under 65 and do you have supplemental? Who do you have? How do I have somebody change my cath every month? Because I am on immunosuppressants for MS I have a lot of problems in a lot and I mean a lot of infection so I'm usually monitored throughout the month. I've already had a couple of hospital stays.

What do I do? How do I get a more permanent solution?
    Last edited by PC720; 04-08-2016 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC720 View Post
    Hey guys I have a question for those of you in the United States that has indwelling caths. Who do you have change them every month?

I do not have the use of my hands which is the reason I have one in the first place. My doctor's office has ordered Home Health to come to my home and change it for me. This is been going on for a year now and I have recently learned that they are a temporary service. For a year they've come to see me once a week. Their social worker says it will probably be cut off.

I am under 65 by far and I receive disability because of this I am not legally allowed to buy insurance. I can buy it out of pocket if I go off disability. But then I won't have any money to eat let alone keep a roof over my head. I found that out the hard way when ObamaCare started. Because I am under 65 nobody will touch me when it comes to supplemental insurance. Are you under 65 and do you have supplemental? Who do you have? How do I have somebody change my cath every month? Because I am on immunosuppressants for MS I have a lot of problems in a lot and I mean a lot of infection so I'm usually monitored throughout the month. I've already had a couple of hospital stays.

What do I do? How do I get a more permanent solution?

I guess I'm the only person here is not going to progress health-wise but may live longer than 6 months. LOL what a catch-22. I think I may have found an agency that will help me though.

Blog Entries
    Start with the place you were hospitalized. They probably have social workers who can be helpful.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Good advice, Tom. You can also look for an independent living center. They may be able to help you with resources.
    ckf

one of the organizations involved with providing my caregiver hours has a registered nurse who checks on the patients every 45 days. I asked her if she could change my Foley monthly, and she said yes, so that's who's been changing mine.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Why can't your primary care Dr. Change it? Im assuming you're not in the United States? Otherwise you should be eligible for Medicare or Medicaid.
    "Yesterday's History,Tomorrow's a Mystery"

Who handles your MS? Neurology? Changing a catheter is a "skilled "service and if you are house bound you should get it or they can just find an outpatient clinic or doctors office and transportation for you to get it done as it must be done once a month. Surely you have medicare and if not Obama care. The home maker services may be cut off but not the Skilled services. So ask specifically about that.
    Are you getting injections? Do you have anyone in your family that could learn?
    And if they don't take care of it - call the state department and report them for neglect.
    CWO

Hello,

Mine is changed every two weeks by The Visiting Nurse Services of New York. I have had them since my initial surgery in 2002.