Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tell me about your dog....

These stories are great. What pleases me the most is how well cared for these dog are to say nothing of the abundance of love heaped upon them. My Cocker was small for her breed, I got her as a puppy so all she knew was me and the chair. She would not be able to push/pull me over too light-weight. I took her to work with me but didn't exercise her regularly. I was so young & dumb, didn't consider the dog's needs before my own. No more! The dog fence begins Monday, the new dog will arrive after that.

I also appreciate all the reference material on the different breeds. I'll check them out, pick my favorites and show those to the rest of the family. Lynifer was so selective, I admire her self control in waiting a year to wait for the dog that was meant to be. I wanted the dog yesterday. Will have to curb my impulses.

Thanks for all the information. The one thing y'all have in common is how much you love your dog: infinitely. I appreciate it.

Why?
    This is the million dollar question. There are quite a number of reasons why your dog might be scooting. Some are a lot more common than others and some have a much easier remedy:

• Anal Sac. Inflammation of the anal sac is the number one cause of scooting. This is usually accompanied by a foul odor and possibly discharge. Emptying those sacs is easy and can be done by a groomer, who can also teach you how to do it at home, fun! Once you dog has been treated, figuring out the underlying cause of the problem is important. They could have simply been full or they could have been infected, in which case he may need antibiotics. A product such as Pet Naturals Scoot Bars contains fiber from three different sources and supports healthy anal gland function, reducing your dog’s need to scoot.

• Worms. Dogs that have worms don’t always scoot so this is a less common reason behind the action. However, some dogs experience serious itching because of the infestation which could cause them to scoot. A sure-fire way to detect tapeworms in your dog is by visually detecting them around his anus. If your dog is scooting, check there first, just in case. Tapeworms are very easy to treat. Tapeworms go hand-in-hand with fleas so be careful, especially in the summer months, to use a good flea medicine.

• Rectal Prolapse. This is a scary situation that requires immediate medical attention. Rectal prolapse can occur after severe bouts of diarrhea or constipation. The prolapse is part of the dog’s large intestine which can protrude through the anus. If you see this elongated mass coming from his bottom, call the vet right away.

• Fecal Contamination. This is definitely the cause for scooting that has the easiest cure. If the reason your dog is scooting is because he has feces matted in or around his bottom, just clean him up with warm, soapy water. Contamination of any kind down there will cause immense itching and burning so he has no choice but to scoot to relieve the discomfort.

• Growths and Tumors. Luckily this isn’t extremely common but it is very serious so it cannot be overlooked. Tumors can sometimes grow in or around the anal glands so be careful to watch for any unusual swelling or discharge and contact your vet immediately.

Aside from the scooting stories, keep telling us about your dogs!!!

All the best,
    GJ

Interesting mix .. Chihuahua and Cavalier Mix. Beaten and neglected by former owner - 3yrs old.

http://www.adoptapet.com/pet/1334684...es-spaniel-mix
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Scooting is a frequent problem with dogs. It is less disturbing to owner if the dog is kept outside, but the animal is still suffering, of course. It may be caused by improper nutrition - http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/heal...and-impaction/ - and can be often fixed by watching what your dog eats. Too much fat is not really good for the dog either, turns out. But if the condition persists, you can use drugs like osaterone - https://vetxed.com/en/y/Ypozane/ But of course the reason for scooting can be different, as it was previously mentioned in this thread. Then you need to visit/call the vet.