Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arthritic Shoulders. What can I do/take?

The Tailwind system looks interesting. But at 56 lbs it's a serious heavyweight.

Quote Originally Posted by mthomson View Post
    The Tailwind system looks interesting. But at 56 lbs it's a serious heavyweight.
    Yes, that is an issue when using it in less that optimal environments with power assist turned off. The wheels and battery can be popped off for transport. However it is probably weighs less than some of the other assists added to a chair like e-motions. There is one, the ZX-1 that detaches from manuals. There is a lot of related discussion in threads in the Equipment Forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bRuhHfg660
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

There is a never ending battle on this subject. The add one costs almost as much as a Power Chair. And, there are the obvious set backs with Power Chairs. But, it is only the pain that is your reason to buy a Power Chair I believe that should be enough.

Weight being the biggie, I dealt with this by finding a "CurbSider" lift. on Craigs list for $150 and had my local mechanic install it. There are few secrets with this installation, Directions were right there on their site. So it is also transferable from vehicle to vehicle. Of course a mini van is the desirable conveyance. As you lose any current mobility you have left you might find it wise to plan ahead.

Both of my shoulders are destroyed, My GP who has an orthopedic
    background, after looking at my MRI report he said my shoulders were F----d. He is honest, to say the very least. Now I can get into my van with comparative ease, and my wife loads the chair. it is a click into the lift mechanisms and push a button to lift and another to swing it into the back of the van. I do suppose one day I will not be able to get into the van as I do currently, and we will have to do something different.

I have a manual chair, that sits unused any more. It is overall wider and for me now much more difficult to maneuver indoors. An inch of width is a big thing when wheeling around my old house, so is another inch of length.

My Power chair spends the evening right beside the bed. I use it like the bed rails that hospital beds use and reach to the arms to push and pull by body around and to roll over. The weight is a plus when you use a power chair as a stabilizer. And the motors automatically lock the wheels in place when the joy stick control is centered.

I charge it every night, usually as I watch TV. I am on my 3+ years on my current batteries. Lead acid Batteries are best kept at a nearly full charge or as close as you can to it. Running them down to full discharge is stupid. But running them down once in a great while to around 80% depth of discharge or below does little harm . But recharging ASAP is definitely recommended after such an event. I have no clue to why some folks do not recharge their batteries every evening. Simply plugging a charger into a connection on their chair is nothing too difficult.

I simply do not understand the allure of an "add on" power unit, no matter who makes it..........

I went through the add-on phase ... The Smart Drive weighs 11lbs so can still be lifted into a car with a manual.

Financial reasons. I can't afford a van AND the adaptations. Though I've seen many Braun Turny lifts for $1000 on used sites. If the curbside lift works midway in a mini-van, I might be in luck as I've seen those used as well.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Lynnifer,
    To use a sidewalker lift you have to be able to get from the door which you use to utilize the lift to either the drivers seat or the passenger seat. I never personally saw a mid vehicle sidewalker. There may not be any difference at all, I simply do not know. Are you mobile at all? That is are your legs workable at all? If so, just what is comfortable for you to do? I can do quite a bit if I concentrate, and plan every move well before I do anything. My legs do work momentarily, but any false moves or delay, and they will fail me. Then I am down, just like a sack of feed. However, if and when I get another minivan I will give more consideration to utilizing the side door.

I currently use the rear hatch, and never gave any serious consideration to using the side doors. We often use the 2nd row seats for passengers. I suppose using the 3rd row seating for passengers is just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by mthomson View Post
    30 years post injury, C6/7. Active life until this past year when my shoulders seem to be extracting payment for those 30 years of use and abuse.
    Any suggestions as to any thing that might help would be deeply appreciated.
    thanks,
    mark
    I'm Polio paralyzed, hubby is T-10 SCI. When shoulder issues kicked in during our 60's we tried to look at all ADL activities. I had never been a transfer board user as my paralysis was so long ago they didn't have them! Husband used them all the time and instructed me. On CareCure we discovered weekly use of Pledge on the board greatly helped a sliding transfer for bed and van seat. (We keep an extra can and rags in our full size van). We had roll-to shower installed and got sturdy, padded shower chairs about 10 years ago. We had been transferring into a tub for most of our working years! Big mistake for shoulders, but we had plenty of strength then.
    After a major medical meltdown 6 years ago, a PT worked with me at home to reconfigure my shower chair for sliding on back-first that was mostly push-up and worked easier for me than slide board.
    We got van seats (6 way power) re-upholstered with leather (originally fabric) and using Pledge on them, I can still slide-transfer to driver's seat without the board, but need it for exiting passenger seat. We got our entire van seats worked on to make sure they went high enough for a gravity transfer. Once I started using a ZX1, I found that the passenger seat head rest hit the ceiling of the van before I got the seat high enough for a good gravity transfer, so I use the transfer board ok there.
    I totally avoid any movement of left shoulder that is toward the rear, such as grabbing something, lifting or reaching back.
    If my left shoulder aches (over the years 3 periods of 12 week PT), I find that gently hunching up my shoulder followed by gently pushing my straight arm out at chest height, stretched things enough that the pain subsides. If I have pottery class that day I usually take a time release, over the counter pain med.
    I use "reachers" long and short ones, sitting all over the house.
    Oh....did I mention my ZX1?! This power add-on is the best piece of equipment ever to land in my arsenal. About 4 years ago I had to hang onto the back of my husband's wheelchair to be towed from sloped parking lot to a restaurant. So embarrassing! Shortly after I ordered a ZX1; it was in process of being bought by Spinergy and I had to wait a year to get it. I now use it for any outdoor trips. I'm able to manually push indoors - went with all hard floors at home 20 years ago.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thank you all for the replies. Your advice has been very helpful.