Thread: Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells

I've been looking for some trial data for testing with these types of stem cells. Are there any major trial tests that have been performed on humans? So far I've used http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ very briefly but I was wondering if there are any trial tests worth mentioning using iPSCs

I don't think there is any clinical trial for this. I also have looked into Scope website and could not find it. Shinya Yamanaka won a Nobel for this and he said
    The cell research is "entering the second stage," said professor Shinya Yamanaka, the head of Kyoto University's Center for iPS Cell Research and Application, or CiRA. Speaking to The Nikkei Wednesday during a conference marking the 10-year anniversary of his groundbreaking discovery, the Nobel laureate said he expects iPS research to be used to treat Parkinson's disease, as well as ailments affecting blood and cartilage, in the near future.

His aim is to quickly establish a method to transplant nerve tissue created from iPS cells into patients. Kyoto University plans to test the treatment on Parkinson's patients as soon as this year or next. Regenerative medicine for blood platelets and cartilage is nearing the application stage.
    The cells were first put to medical use in 2014 when a patient suffering from age-related macular degeneration of the eyes received retinal tissue produced from iPS cells. Clinical research focusing on liver diseases is expected to start between 2019 and 2020, while similar research for kidney diseases will likely begin as early as 2025, according to the science ministry.

Ok, thanks. I was unsure whether they tried using iPSCs on humans or not. Any chance you came across testing on animals while looking?

I think there will be human clinical trials but no for SCI. It is for other diseases. You can see below: I heard him talk about using it also in SCI but that's all. Other diseases might be easier for them to start with because IPSC cells can turn onto any cells we want. It goes in close to the bad cells and attacks them. Basically creates a lot of soldiers close to the bad cells and then kills them. Hopefully some scientist will figure out how to fix SCI.

CiRA entered into a joint research collaboration with Takeda Pharmaceutical at the end of last year, with the latter providing 20 billion yen in research assistance over 10 years. Reportedly, the partnership is already bearing fruit. The center also joined hands with Sumitomo Dainippon Pharma on Parkinson's research and Kyowa Hakko Kirin, another drugmaker, on cancer immunotherapy studies.
    The research center plans to tackle cancer and infectious diseases next. "I want to pursue new life-science research using iPS cells," said Yamanaka. He looks to open up a new department within the premises and utilize existing methods to research "next-generation techniques" that will turn cancer cells back into normal cells.
    "I also want to do research looking into infectious diseases like the Zika virus," said Yamanaka. Cells formed by iPS cells can be used to find out the workings of transmitted diseases, leading to cures, he said. "My dream is that a young person will come upon ideas I haven't thought of and win the Nobel Prize," he added.
    (Nikkei)