Thread: Pool lifts at hotels, most do not seem to work?

Pool lifts at hotels, most do not seem to work?

Have others experienced this? I travel quite a bit and find most lifts for the pools at hotels do not have batteries installed and when asked to get the lift working it's a big run around that generally ends up that the batteries are discharged from sitting around and the lift cannot be used for 8 hours. Other times the lifts are just broken and where never fixed, they just put them there so as to look that they were in compliance of the new regs that went into effect a few years ago.

Anyhow, anybody do any lawsuits over this issue? It is the law, I should be able to swim when I want at a hotel and not have to risk falling and breaking a hip or something getting in and out lowering myself from the wheelchair to the ground and bumping myself down the steps.

Sometimes they offer me a free nights stay as I think they are fearing litigation. I would have every right to take them to court and win as by not having the lift functional they are not in compliance. I've heard a lot of them will settle out of court for 4 or $5000.00. The big chains do sometimes let it go to court as they don't want to have too many people make a habit for easy money even though the hotel is breaking federal guidelines. I'm just debating how I should handle things with this issue in the future? I do like to swim and I do travel a lot. I am tired of at my age of having to bump myself down into the pool, use to do this more easy when I was in my twenties, but in my late 50's my body is not as flexible as it once was. One of these times it's gonna end badly with a bad fall. I notice after I ask about the lift and they can't get it working they generally send somebody down to watch me getting in and out of the pool as they get a little nervous. Generally this person will sit and read the paper or whatever and won't even ask to help.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I find a lot of places still don't even have a pool lift. Heck or local "city" aquatic center was built just a few years and they have no lifts. My experience with filing claims is that I always get a letter back from the Feds telling me to take it up with the companies and local authorities. Doing that goes nowhere, either.
    You live in Florida, though. That use to be a hotbed for ADA violations and lawyers filing lawsuits for ADA violations. While you as an individual would see no monetary award from a lawsuit, the lawyers will charge a fortune in legal fees and it does force people to become compliant. I have no problem with lawyers getting rich off of making companies become ADA compliant, wish one would start doing that around here.

If you have bad faith laws in that state were it was by all means sue. The lawyers should get paid for all necessary cost and you will should get a few damage awards. Let a jury decided. Sock it to em.....they are breaking the law period. No bad faith State you are screwed.
    Art

I travel a lot as well. The only place I have stayed at where the pool lift worked was Disneyland.

Well, I'll see what happens this coming weekend, I'm staying at a hampton inn in Ft. Myers and I'll see if that lift works at that hotel. If not I'll request a free night stay again like I did at the last hotel.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

i used the one at hilton virginia beach last year. had one for indoor pool and rooftop outdoor pool.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Most Hilton Hotels and Hamptons are now having them installed. I was actually asked to try one when I was in Clarksville, Indianna. The hampton had just installed one two years ago. Worked great. I feel the main reason they don't work, is their hardly ever used. They sit and are weathered and probably don't have the proper service done on them. Their hydraulics and need attention each year. It's probably not a priority to service them. Every cruise ship I was on had them and all were in working condition.

All the ones in Vegas that I've been to have worked, probably because they see more people that actually use them.

The one at Comfort Inn in Huntington Beach Ca. works. The desk clerk told me they have to store the batteries off deck because the kids burn them down.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

We have experienced the problems with hotel lifts and it is so frustrating. I searched on the web and made reservations for hotels specifically because they have pool lifts. One was Read House in Chattanooga. Beautiful hotel with a Starbucks and the pool lift worked fine. Only problem was, there are a bunch of stairs up to the pool and the lift to that level was broken. Booked another stay at Sleep Inn in Gatlinburg, TN with lift. Checked with them several times to verify. Got ready to swim and it is having mechanical problems. Good news I want to share is the manager was great and referred us to a community pool that was great, nice staff and only $2 to use! Made my husband's day! 156 Profit Road 37738